BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40633
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "A-Rod Considers Playing For Dominican Republic in World Baseball Classic " Thread

Message #1441 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  A-Rod Considers Playing For Dominican Republic in World Baseball Classic
Date:  12/13/05, 9:29pm (Last Edited: 12/18/05, 10:53am)
Alex Rodriguez, New York born and Miami bred, is leaning towards playing for the Dominican Republic, the native country of his parents, in the inaugural World Baseball Classic (WBC) in March. Also, Mike Piazza is committed to playing for Italy, the country of his ancestors. It kind of reminds me of Zola Budd, neither a citizen or native-born, representing Great Britain in the '84 Summer Olympics.

This absolutely makes no sense to me. If you aren't a native-born or citizen of a particular country, you have no business representing that nation in any sporting event. Having an ancestry in a country shouldn't qualify you either. I can't speak for Italy, but the Dominican already has an abundance of high-quality players. In basketball, Hakeem Olajuwon did it the right way. Prior to joining the Dream Team in '96, he became a U.S. citizen.

Reply to Msg #1441
Back to Topics

2377 reads

729 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #1477 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: A-Rod Considers Playing For Dominican Republic in World Baseball Classic
Date:  12/18/05, 10:52am
After all the backlash, A-Rod decided not to play in the WBC at all. Playing for the Dominican would've put a damper on Rodriguez's stellar reputation in the league. He got the message...

Reply to Msg #1477
Back to Topics

2968 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter