BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40211
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Hall of Fame Candidates for 2006 " Thread

Message #1473 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Hall of Fame Candidates for 2006
Date:  12/17/05, 12:21am
After looking at the list of first-year candidates, I see quite a few who should make it in easily. They include names like Ozzie Guillen, Orel Hershiser, and Will Clark. But, after looking at other candidates who have been on the waiting-list for several years, I'm not so sure. These are guys who you would think are shoo-ins for Cooperstown, but they have been on the ballot for five years or more. I'm talking about Dave Concepcion, Steve Garvey, Goose Gossage, Andre Dawson, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, and Bruce Sutter. All of these former players are just as deserving (if not more) to get into the Hall as Robin Yount, who made it on his first year of eligibility. Maybe it's time for the fans to have a say as to who gets elected in.

Selections will be announced on January 10, 2006.

Reply to Msg #1473
Back to Topics

4349 reads

1776 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The DawgHouse

Message #1474 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Guest4284 (IP: 207.192.252.118)  
Subject:  Re: Hall of Fame Candidates for 2006
Date:  12/17/05, 6:36pm
Ozzie Guillen, Orel Hershiser, and Will Clark are not HOFers by any stretch. Hershiser had a phenomenal year in 88, but never came close to matching it. Will Clark needed an attitude adjustment and should have stayed in SanFran. Guillen was average at best over his career. He was not in the same league as Ozzie Smith or Barry Larkin.

Andre Dawson is the player most deserving. Look at his power, speed, defense, and he won an MVP. He did all this while playing for subpar teams in Montreal & Chicago. The Hawk should get in and so should Bert Blyleven. He never had a single great year like Hershiser, but had many very good years. Plus, he is top ten in strikeouts and shutouts and had just as good a winning percentage as Nolan Ryan.

I also like Mattingly. He was one of the best players in baseball from 1984-1990, but voters think he was overrated playing for the Yankees.

Reply to Msg #1474
Back to Topics

4863 reads

Message #1479 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest4284 (IP: 207.192.252.118)
Reedster  
Date:  12/18/05, 12:33pm
>Andre Dawson is the player most deserving. Look at his power,
>speed, defense, and he won an MVP. He did all this while
>playing for subpar teams in Montreal & Chicago. The Hawk
>should get in and so should Bert Blyleven. He never had a
>single great year like Hershiser, but had many very good
>years. Plus, he is top ten in strikeouts and shutouts and had
>just as good a winning percentage as Nolan Ryan.

Excellent points. I like both of these guys.

I have had a problem with the HOF voting ever since Tony Perez was voted in. I thought Tony was a great player... just not HOF caliber. So, I alwatys find myself at this time of year asking: "If Tony is in, shouldn't this guy be in?"

And, the answer would be most definitely yes to Dawson and Blyleven.

Reply to Msg #1479
Back to Topics

4859 reads

Message #1580 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest4284 (IP: 207.192.252.118)
Jaydawg  
Date:  12/30/05, 11:31pm (Last Edited: 12/30/05, 11:34pm)
I totally disagree with your assessment of Orel Hershiser. He was one of the most dominating pitchers--Top 5 IMO-- in baseball during the 80's. Everybody remembers the Bulldog's phenomenal year of 1988 when he broke Drysdale's scoreless innings record and led the Dodgers to a World Series win. But, people tend to forget that his other seasons during the 80's were quite remarkable as well. For instance, in 1985, Hershiser led the majors with a 2.03 ERA. Of course, you can't forget the fact that the Dodgers have been known for the last 40+ years as a team where the pitchers normally receive very little run support. If Orel played for the A's or the Mets during that era, then I believe he would've averaged over 20 wins a season during the 80's.
Will Clark deserves a place in the Hall, as well. He was the best fielding first baseman during the late '80's and early '90's. Will The Thrill was also quite a hitter, who was usually among the leaders in extra base hits and had a lifetime average of over .300. Very few players in today's game can accomplish that feat. Personally, I didn't like the guy's pompous attitude off the field either, but you can't deny the fact that he was a hell of a player on it. As a Dodger fan, it isn't easy to sing the praises of Clark, but anyone looking at it objectively has to admit what a baseball genius he was.
As for Ozzie Guillen, he certainly wasn't up to par with Ozzie Smith and Barry Larkin, but he's definitely in the top 10 or 15 among shortstops in the past 25-30 years. He was excellent defensively and could swing a pretty good bat for the most part. I'll concede that I may have overdone it with this pick, but if Robin Yount and Gary Carter deserve to get in on their first year of eligibility, then so does Guillen. But, if Ozzie doesn't get to Cooperstown as a player, then he'll definitely make it in as a manager.

Reply to Msg #1580
Back to Topics

4859 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter