BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40026
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Johnny Damon: a sellout? Just seven months ago, he was quoted as saying he would NEVER play for the Yanks " Thread

Message #1513 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  Johnny Damon: a sellout? Just seven months ago, he was quoted as saying he would NEVER play for the Yanks
Date:  12/21/05, 12:03am (Last Edited: 12/21/05, 12:10am)
I run the RRBBS website... and I just had a thought that maybe this quote was made up.

So, I did a google search.

http://www.google.com/search?q=There%27s+no+way+I+c
an+go+play+for+the+Yankees%2C+but+I+know+they+are+g
oing+to+come+after+me+hard.+It%27s+definitely+not+t
he+most+important+thing+to+go+out+there+for+the+top
+dollar%2C+which+the+Yankees+are+going+to+offer+me.
+It%27s+not+what+I+need.&sourceid=mozilla-search&st
art=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rl
s=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Doh. This looks bad for ol' Johnny (unless you are a Yankee fan, of course).

Reply to Msg #1513
Back to Topics

8028 reads

1704 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #1514 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
big_train  
Subject:  Re: Johnny Damon: a sellout? Just seven months ago, he was quoted as saying he would NEVER play for the Yanks
Date:  12/21/05, 11:47am
With Boras, the tail wags the dog.

Reply to Msg #1514
Back to Topics

9773 reads

Message #1517 of 6634  *NEW*
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: Johnny Damon: a sellout? Just seven months ago, he was quoted as saying he would NEVER play for the Yanks
Date:  12/21/05, 6:48pm
When Johnny Damon made those comments last year, I never took it seriously. Think about it. Damon was the most popular member of the Yankees archrival and it was not in his best interest to say anything kind about Georgie's team. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that it would be a bad P.R. move. Now, $52 million later, Johnny Damon is the most popular Yankee. As Don King would say, "Only in America".

Reply to Msg #1517
Back to Topics

9771 reads

Message #1520 of 6634  *NEW*
Jaydawg  
Date:  12/21/05, 7:31pm
Here's Damon's actual quote that he told to mlb.com in May of this year: "There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard. It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need." END OF QUOTE
As I've said, it's all about good P.R. There's no way he'd be $52 million richer if kind things were said about the Bronx Bombers. If Johnny did that, then he'd probably be back with the Kansas City Royals, making a small fraction of what he signed for yesterday.

Reply to Msg #1520
Back to Topics

9767 reads

Message #1523 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Guest4474 (IP: 170.20.11.116)  
Date:  12/22/05, 11:33am
damon will be a popular yankee when he contributes; it's still jeter's team.

Reply to Msg #1523
Back to Topics

9764 reads

Message #1543 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest4474 (IP: 170.20.11.116)
Guest4558 (IP: 4.234.253.104)  
Date:  12/23/05, 7:27pm (Last Edited: 12/24/05, 10:27am)
IHATETHENEWYORKYANKEESIHATETHENEWYORKYANKEESIHATETHENEWYORKYANKEES

ILOVETHEFLORIDAMARLINSILOVETHEFLORIDAMARLINSILOVETHEFLORIDAMARLINS

damons a traitor we need a &$%#%^@%^$#&^%$&(^$%&(^$ salary cap like every other sport

WS prediction FLA-4 NYY-3

Reply to Msg #1543
Back to Topics

9764 reads

Message #1550 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest4558 (IP: 4.234.253.104)
Reedster  
Date:  12/24/05, 10:26am
>WS prediction FLA-4 NYY-3

Now THAT would be hilarious. You have to love a Marlin fan who isn't jaded by this offseason. I would have jumped off the Marlin ship a few weeks ago (and been PISSED).

Reply to Msg #1550
Back to Topics

9761 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter