BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40075
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Should Mark McGwire be voted into the Hall of Fame? " Thread

Message #1700 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Should Mark McGwire be voted into the Hall of Fame?
Date:  1/14/06, 10:25am
The Class of 2007 at Cooperstown should turn out to be one of the greatest of all time. It's fair to say that Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn are 100% shoo-ins, even if you don't follow the game much. But, there's a lot of controversy in store with the Mark McGwire nomination. Without a doubt, McGwire has the numbers to get in and what he and Sammy Sosa did during the summer of '98 was breathtaking. But, I can't forget his "I'm not going to talk about the past" testimony in front of the Congressional Committee. That sounds like he used steroids to me, so I'm not ready to say that he belongs in Cooperstown. Though, I could change my mind in the future if he redeems himself in some way, but right now, I can't shake off that testimony he gave in March of 2005. In my view, it's not fair to put McGwire alongside all-time greats, such as Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Willie Mays, who never took any illegal performance-enhancing drugs.

Reply to Msg #1700
Back to Topics

3657 reads

1556 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The DawgHouse

Message #1793 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: Should Mark McGwire be voted into the Hall of Fame?
Date:  1/22/06, 2:15pm (Last Edited: 1/22/06, 2:18pm)
ESPN.com's Gene Wojciechowski wrote an interesting article about the eventual controversies that will surround Mark McGwire in the next year. He expressed some of the same feelings I have regarding Big Mac's "I'm not going to talk about the past" testimony. Here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?column
ist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2298560//

Though, unlike Wojciechowski, I could change my mind and support McGwire becoming a Hall of Famer if he can redeem himself in some kind of productive way. As Reedster has said, you have to keep in mind that he played during the steroid era and still would've been one of the best players without the juice. But, so far, I don't see any kind of redemption out of McGwire. For instance, I can recall that during his Congressional testimony, McGwire committed himself to doing all he can and taking an active role in preventing kids from using steroids. To this day, Big Mac hasn't lifted a finger towards this cause.

Reply to Msg #1793
Back to Topics

5038 reads

Message #2299 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: Should Mark McGwire be voted into the Hall of Fame?
Date:  2/27/06, 7:11pm
Today, Mike Schmidt came out in support of McGwire becoming a Hall of Famer. He actually has a good argument for it, too. Even though Schmidt concedes that steroids have tainted the game, he said that Big Mac "should be judged against the peers he played with". This actually makes some sense. As Reedster has said, you have to keep in mind that McGwire played during the steroid era. But, is it fair some of the all-time greats, such as Hank Aaron, and Willie Mays, who never cheated with the juice. That's very debatable. Next year, Cooperstown will receive more attention than ever before.

Reply to Msg #2299
Back to Topics

5036 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter