BaseballGeeks
User: Guest132471
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Nationals make offer to Sammy Sosa " Thread

Message #2008 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Anonymous  
Subject:  Nationals make offer to Sammy Sosa
Date:  2/08/06, 12:03pm
Nationals general manager Jim Bowden said Tuesday the team has offered Sosa a major-league contract and is waiting to see if the seven-time All-Star accepts it. The deal is believed to be for only one year and laden with incentives.

It does not guarantee Sosa a spot on the team and the Nationals would only have to pay a 30-day contract termination fee if Sosa does not make the Opening Day roster.

The Nationals previously had offered the free-agent outfielder a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, but Sosa wanted a big-league deal.

Bowden made it clear that, with its latest concession, Washington has done all it can to sign Sosa, who is 37 years old and coming off his worst season since becoming a full-time starter. When asked what the chances are that Sosa will be in a Nationals uniform this season, Bowden said, "You'll have to ask Sammy."

Reply to Msg #2008
Back to Topics

5281 reads

1997 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2009 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Anonymous
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Nationals make offer to Sammy Sosa
Date:  2/8/06, 12:07pm
Details haven't been provided as to how much, but I'm thinking the Frank Thomas offer gave the Nationals all of the leverage they could ask for.

I'm thinking this will be a similar deal.

Sammy will be major reason to follow the preseason if you are a baseball fan (like me) who finds Spring Training games incredibly boring.

Here, we will have a recent, star player fighting for a job.

I can't see Sammy refusing any deal at this point...

Reply to Msg #2009
Back to Topics

5928 reads

Message #2013 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
sambruin98  
Date:  2/8/06, 5:16pm
Sosa's career really fell off a cliff. He hasn't been the same since the Cubs switched hitting coaches about 4 years ago. The patient, mistake-crunching Sosa got replaced by the old,
free-swinging Sammy. Watching how quickly guys like Sosa and Piazza have deterioriated makes me marvel at how well someone like Bonds, not to mention gajillion year-old Julio Franco (he of the TWO year deal from the Mets which carries him through 49!), has aged.

Reply to Msg #2013
Back to Topics

5924 reads

Message #2028 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  sambruin98
Reedster  
Date:  2/9/06, 10:06pm
You don't fool me, Sam. You aren't going to get Sosa for $1.

Reply to Msg #2028
Back to Topics

5923 reads

Message #2029 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
sambruin98  
Date:  2/9/06, 11:17pm
Does that mean you'll let me have Piazza for $1 instead? =)

Reply to Msg #2029
Back to Topics

5922 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter