BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40489
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Monroe hopes for breakout season in 2006 " Thread

Message #2259 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Monroe hopes for breakout season in 2006
Date:  2/26/06, 11:07am
graphic
New Tigers manager Jim Leyland knows Monroe is a good player, but more importantly, he thinks Monroe will continue to get better.

"Craig has quietly gotten better each year and he will continue to do so," said the 61-year-old Leyland. "He's a very good player and on the verge of being a great player. I think he's got that type of capability."

Monroe's numbers have continued to escalate over his first three seasons in the big leagues.

Monroe had a fine rookie year in 2003 with 23 home runs and 70 RBIs, although he hit just .240. However, he followed that with a great sophomore season, raising his average to .293 for the year with 18 homers and 72 RBIs.

Last season, Monroe achieved career highs in games played (157), at-bats (567), runs (69), hits (157), total bases (253), doubles (30), RBIs (89) and stolen bases (8) for the Tigers. Monroe's 89 RBIs were the most for a Detroit player since Bobby Higginson's 92 RBIs in 2000.

How pathetic is it that the Tigers have not had a 100 RBI hitter this millenium. Do other people think Monroe will have a break-out year? He is past the magic age, but has continued to improve each year. How good can he be? A season hitting around .290 with 25 HR and 90 RBIs would be nice.

OE

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply to Msg #2259
Back to Topics

3372 reads

960 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2263 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Monroe hopes for breakout season in 2006
Date:  2/26/06, 11:49am
Hey OE:

Check out my predicted sleepers from last season here:

http://www.baseballgeeks.com/cgi-bin/bbs/thread.pl?
3-1

For the lazy, here is what I said:

7) Craig Monroe, OF, DET : 28 years old. Had a quiet breakout season last year. .293/18 HRs/72 RBI, 3 SB. Yah, I didn't realize it, either. Good 4th or 5th OF pick, and I bet when you shout his name out... you get him for $1, while a majority of your fellow drafters will be scratching their heads, asking: "Who?"

I am still high on him. I had him as a reserve on my winning money league team last year. He didn't put up 2004 numbers, but he wasn't far off.

I still like him as an end of the draft or farm team pickup.

Reply to Msg #2263
Back to Topics

4042 reads

Message #2264 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Monroe hopes for breakout season in 2006
Date:  2/26/06, 11:52am
I think Monroe will have a solid year. I think your prediction on his numbers this season will be pretty close to accurate. .280-290, 20-30 HR, 90-100 RBIs

Reply to Msg #2264
Back to Topics

4041 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter