BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40119
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "MLB will not celebrate Bonds passing Ruth " Thread

Message #3259 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
attacksquad  
Subject:  MLB will not celebrate Bonds passing Ruth
Date:  4/27/06, 10:40pm

Reply to Msg #3259
Back to Topics

9760 reads

933 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #3260 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  attacksquad
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: MLB will not celebrate Bonds passing Ruth
Date:  4/27/06, 9:10pm
Bud Selig made the right decision on this one. I've never heard of a big celebration when someone gets the #2 ranked record. Ba-Bo should definitely say "HECK NO" if someone offers a large commemoration in this case.

Reply to Msg #3260
Back to Topics

10541 reads

Message #3262 of 6634  *NEW*
redsoxchick  
Date:  4/28/06, 4:10am
"Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record," Selig said. "We don't celebrate anybody the second or third time in."

Most intelligent thing Selig has ever said.

Reply to Msg #3262
Back to Topics

10539 reads

Message #3265 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  redsoxchick
drrubb  
Date:  4/28/06, 6:45am
I agree with Selig for the most part on this one, however, what if this was someone like Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, A Rod, or Pujols passing Babe Ruth for second? Don't you think they would atleast get some kind of recognition? Babe Ruth is such a baseball icon that I don't believe Selig deep down wants to acknowledge someone like Barry(& his questionable reputation at best) passing Babe Ruth(& his "American as apple pie") status in baseball history. I can't help to think Selig was using the "celebrating second place as being obsolete" as an excuse. I still agree with the decision overall, but I think Selig might have reacted differently if it were someone else passing Ruth that was an embassador to the game & had a more respectful reputation. I still think Selig is an idiot. I probably dislike Selig more than I do Barry himself.

Reply to Msg #3265
Back to Topics

10539 reads

Message #3270 of 6634  *NEW*
Guest13938 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  4/28/06, 5:42am
Doesn't look like he'll get there, but if Bonds ever did pass Aaron for the top stop, baseball should not celebrate it either. That would send a message!

Reply to Msg #3270
Back to Topics

10537 reads

Message #3286 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest13938 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
drrubb  
Date:  4/28/06, 5:15pm
How can you say that though when Bonds has not been proven to take steroids yet? We all know he probably did, but it has still not been proven as of yet, & Bonds has never failed a drug test, so far.

Reply to Msg #3286
Back to Topics

10537 reads

Message #3290 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
redsoxchick  
Date:  4/28/06, 6:45pm
>How can you say that though when Bonds has not been proven to
>take steroids yet? We all know he probably did, but it has
>still not been proven as of yet, & Bonds has never failed a
>drug test, so far.

Didn't Bonds admit to using steroids "unknowingly"?

That, coupled with a lot of proof in the book "Game of Shadows" is good enough for me.

Reply to Msg #3290
Back to Topics

10535 reads

Message #3293 of 6634  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  4/28/06, 10:21pm
If the book is for real & not greatly exaggerated. I for one don't know about how accurate or inaccurate that book is.

Reply to Msg #3293
Back to Topics

10532 reads

Message #3296 of 6634  *NEW*
Reedster  
Date:  4/28/06, 11:40pm
I haven't decided for sure, yet, how I feel on this issue, but I'm sure we will discuss it on the podcast tomorrow.

My instict is to say that this is bad form on the part of Selig...

Two competing thoughts come to my mind.

One, there is the "race card" argument to be made... that a recognition of Ruth is, somehow, a chide on Aaron because we make a big deal about Barry passing the beloved (and white) Babe Ruth.

Second, there is the simple argument that we didn't make a huge deal with, say, Roger Maris when Barry passed 61 on his way to 73.

Still, the 700 mark and 714 is a very big number in baseball history, much like Lou Gehrig's games played streak. I suspect that if another player came up who matches and passes Gehrig's straight game streak that there would be recognition for that.

As Babe Ruth is the measure upon which we measure all baseball players even still, I think it honors the Babe and does not at all disrespect Hank Aaron by making a big deal when Bonds hits 715.

My feeling is that Barry is so disliked by even ther powers that be in baseball management that they don't want to give him the recognition. I think it was Dr. Rub who made the point that if this was someone else, like a Ripken or a McGwire, that there WOULD be a big deal made... this, then, is a shame, in my opinion.

A big deal will be made here... well, at least a headline on the front page, for sure.

Reply to Msg #3296
Back to Topics

10530 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

Diary of A Baseball Geek

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter