BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39299
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Greinke to the Bullpen à la Brett Myers? " Thread

Message #4527 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
john.reiss  
Subject:  Greinke to the Bullpen à la Brett Myers?
Date:  5/09/07, 07:24am
Not the Zack "The Headcase" Greinke is even close to Brett Myers in talent, but I wonder if this is the way teams will begin to approach closers: forget about bullpens and just demote a starter?

Reply to Msg #4527
Back to Topics

3397 reads

735 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #4529 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  john.reiss
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Greinke to the Bullpen à la Brett Myers?
Date:  5/9/07, 7:42am
Hi John:

I don't see it (Greike as closer)... Dotel is a week or so from returning. I think they'll take their chances with him (although I think he has only pitcher 23 or so MLB innings in the last four years) before they go with Greinke. Even then, Soria has proven himself, so there is no reason to go that route.

I'm very sad for Zack. He came back this season and was looking fantastic... I always root for guys who falter (like Josh Hamilton, Rick Ankiel, Brad Lidge, Mitch Williams). I thought this was Zack's come-back...

And, now I go on the record to say that I was wrong. Hope he can get it right.

Reply to Msg #4529
Back to Topics

4267 reads

Message #4531 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
john.reiss  
Subject:  Re: Greinke to the Bullpen à la Brett Myers?
Date:  5/9/07, 12:35pm
Rob -
The way I see it, this is a perfect way for the Royals to trade away Dotel at the deadline. There will be a couple of teams looking for some bullpen help, namely the Yankees, Indians, and Blue Jays, and if Dotel could come back strong they could get some descent young arms (perhaps Adam Miller?).

With that said, I completely agree with you on Greinke. I really like this guy and I am rooting for him. This bullpen stint looks like, at least to me, a preventative measure to keep Zach's head in place.

John

Reply to Msg #4531
Back to Topics

4266 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter