BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40174
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Ryan Howard will defend HR Derby crown at the AllStar game even though he isn't playing " Thread

Message #4760 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Rob Reed  
Subject:  Ryan Howard will defend HR Derby crown at the AllStar game even though he isn't playing
Date:  7/03/07, 4:48pm
graphic
Kudos to Howard. He is young, and with his youth, one might suspect that he would bow out because he was pissed off.

Kudos to Howard and his maturity. The derby wouldn't be the same without him.

Reply to Msg #4760
Back to Topics

7160 reads

1819 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #4762 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Rob Reed
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Ryan Howard will defend HR Derby crown at the AllStar game even though he isn't playing
Date:  7/4/07, 12:52am
I have a slightly different take on it. Don't get me wrong, I love Ryan Howard & I think he is a great player & a class act. However, i think he might be wrong in this situation. I know he is the defending home run derby champ, but I think he maybe taking some of the limelight from the players who did make the all star teams this season. Maybe he is being a glory hound. I don't think you should be in the home run derby if you don't make the all star team. However, if MLB made a rule or an exception saying that the home run derby defending champion is allowed to return to the competition the following year, regardless of whether he made the all star team or not, I think that would be pretty cool or an exception to the rule.

Reply to Msg #4762
Back to Topics

8100 reads

Message #4763 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
john.reiss  
Subject:  Re: Ryan Howard will defend HR Derby crown at the AllStar game even though he isn't playing
Date:  7/4/07, 6:37am
Personally I love the fact that Ryan Howard is actually going to participate. For some reason, a lot of players forget that the All-Star game is less about their own ego and more about the fans that watch the game. Howard should be not only be allowed to participate, they should give him a spot on the NL roster because he recognizes what this game is all about.

Reply to Msg #4763
Back to Topics

8098 reads

Message #4764 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  john.reiss
drrubb  
Date:  7/4/07, 10:25am
Well, I'm not really objected to it. But why not invite a few other players to the home run derby if Howard is going to participate in it. How about Sammy Sosa? Lance Berkman? Adam Dunn? Carlos Pena? These guys didn't make the all star teams & all of them except for Pena, have been on all star teams in the past & home run derbies. Pena is a guy that could participate in it this year & he also was deserving of all star consideration. Pena being in the home run derby would be good for baseball because he plays on arguably the least recognized team in baseball. It would be good exposure for him & the Devil Rays.

Reply to Msg #4764
Back to Topics

6980 reads

Message #4765 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
john.reiss  
Date:  7/4/07, 11:06am
Absolutely agree. Although I'm not a big fan of the NBA, the way they run the slam-dunk contest should be the way MLB runs the home run derby. Now, if we could just get someone else besides Berman to call it.....

Reply to Msg #4765
Back to Topics

8096 reads

Message #4766 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  john.reiss
drrubb  
Date:  7/4/07, 12:33pm
AMEN! I get tired of hearing Berman all of the damn time!

Reply to Msg #4766
Back to Topics

8095 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter