BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40145
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Organ silenced, mascots on the way to Dodger Stadium " Thread

Message #479 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
DodgerRefugee  
Subject:  Organ silenced, mascots on the way to Dodger Stadium
Date:  6/2/04, 11:55am
graphic
I haven't chimed in for a while, but just more evidedence of kiss tradition goodbye at Dodger Stadium..... Nancy Bea, who had been silenced enough already by Fox, has been silenced even more.I had already known that since the start of the season, the "charge" call has been a recording. One of the true nuances of seeing a ballgame is the sound of that organ. I can listen to "Jock Jams" in my car.Meanwhile, there's talk the Dodgers are going to have, gag, a mascot.At least the Angels' organist still gets to play during the game.

Reply to Msg #479
Back to Topics

5948 reads

964 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #480 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  DodgerRefugee
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Organ silenced, mascots on the way to Dodger Stadiu
Date:  6/2/04, 1:32pm
What was really notable about that article is that the players, apparently, appreciate this new marketing/entertainment technique.While I am sad to lose a lot of the nostalgia of going to the game, if the players feel better about things... and that translates into more, surprising Dodger wins... I say: "Great!"I refuse to revert to the [old man voice begins] "In my day, our baseball entertainment was an organ... and we liked it!" before I turn 65.

Reply to Msg #480
Back to Topics

6602 reads

Message #481 of 6634  *NEW*
DodgerRefugee  
Date:  6/4/04, 11:25am
graphic
I would like to think that considering the fact they're paid a mimimum of a million per year, they can find some inspiration for their play besides "Let's Go" by the Ramones blaring over the loudspeakers.

Reply to Msg #481
Back to Topics

6600 reads

Message #482 of 6634  *NEW*
Reedster  
Date:  6/4/04, 1:22pm
So, basically, you're saying that because they get paid millions, they have to LIKE polka?If you're going to Dodger games because of the organist, you're going for the wrong reasons.Sure, I understand tradition... and it really pissed me off when they stopped the Nancy Bea organ CHARGE sound, reverting instead to a tape recorded trumpeter doing the Lone Ranger thing.Still, if I was a player, I would be more powered up by, say, a "Hell's Bells" rather than an organ-version of "Hava Nagila."

Reply to Msg #482
Back to Topics

6599 reads

Message #483 of 6634  *NEW*
Jaydawg  
Date:  6/5/04, 1:43pm
Visiting Dodger Stadium was quite an adventure as a kid. The Dodger organization personified loyalty and tradition in the best sense, with Vin Scully on the transistor radio, Tommy Lasorda's shenanigans with umpires, the Union 76 logos on the scoreboards, the aroma of Dodger Dogs, and the unique tunes blaring out of Nancy Bea Hefley's organ. Things have been looking up since the Fox people sold the team, but somebody needs to school Frank Mc Court on the Dodger traditions.

Reply to Msg #483
Back to Topics

6599 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter