BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40019
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "The Supreme Court refuses to hear fantasy baseball league case " Thread

Message #5307 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  The Supreme Court refuses to hear fantasy baseball league case
Date:  6/02/08, 8:12pm
I'm not a fan of the current SCOTUS (Antonin Scalia reminds me of Steinbrenner), but I think they made the right decision on this one. The fantasy B-ball company had already---rightfully, IMO--- won their case at the Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis. It seems foolish for a company to receive permission from MLB to have a right to use names and stats.

Reply to Msg #5307
Back to Topics

3015 reads

1037 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #5313 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
brian.joura  
Subject:  Re: The Supreme Court refuses to hear fantasy baseball league case
Date:  6/3/08, 5:16am
graphic
I think the difference comes in when you go from "right to use" to "right to profit". When it's right to use then you are dealing in information, which is a First Amendment issue or what the courts addressed in the Motorola court case. But here we are dealing more with using this information to package and sell a game and it becomes more of a Rights of Publicity issue or what the courts addressed in Haelen Laboratories. We play fantasy baseball so we can own Alex Rodriguez, not so we can own some nameless, faceless player who batted .314 with 54 HR and 156 RBIs last year.

As a fantasy player, I'm happy with the decision. But as a fan of honesty and fair play - I think it stinks.

Reply to Msg #5313
Back to Topics

3915 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter