BaseballGeeks
User: Guest41026
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Detroit Tigers : Reading "Game 23: Detroit Tigers 9 Minnesota Twins 0" Thread

Message #116 of 252  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Game 23: Detroit Tigers 9 Minnesota Twins 0
Date:  4/28/06, 7:03pm
graphic
An early offensive explosion helped the Tigers in the first game of the weekend series verses the Twins. Detroit jumped all over Radke who couldn’t get out of the third inning. Poor pitching doomed Minnesota as the Tigers battered Radke for six runs on nine hits raising his ERA another point to 8.89. Carlos Guillen began the scoring with a bases loaded sac fly in the first driving in Polanco. Marcus Thames finally got another hit breaking a 0-19 slump blasting his third home run in the second. The third inning explosion is where the damage was done. Detroit loaded the bases again for Carlos Guillen who cleared them this time with a three RBI double. Chris Shelton again showed power hitting his tenth home run of the year for a 6-0 lead. A double by Monroe finally ended the evening for Radke.

The Twins sloppy pitching a defense continued in the 7th. Thames added another RBI with a seeing eye ground ball scoring Monroe who doubled over the fence in deep left center. Another soft ground ball single by Polanco scored Thames to make it 8-0. The game continued to deteriorate with the ninth run scoring on a bases loaded walk to Magglio Ordonez.

The offensive display ended the drama of this game early, but the pitching performance by Nate Robertson can not be overlooked. He was brilliant for a second straight outing. Nate went seven shut out innings for the second straight game. He struck out seven only walking one and giving up five hits. Robertson lowered his ERA to 3.77 on the season. After a rough outing against Cleveland he has responded with two brilliant start and 14 scoreless innings. He probably could have continued in this game, but a long bottom of the seventh, a pitch count of 100 and a 9-0 lead caused Leyland to give him the rest of the evening off. Jordan Tata pitched a scoreless eighth inning. Fernando Rodney completed the shut out for the Tigers in the ninth. This was the fourth shut out game in April by Detroit pitchers this year surpassing the two from all of last year.

Hopefully the Angels pitching that dominated the Tigers will shut down the White Sox tonight and allow the Tigers to pick up a game on Chicago.

*** OEs 3 Stars of the Game ***

#3 Marcus Thames – 3-4 with a HR, 2 runs scored, 1 BB, 2 RBI, .257 AVG
#2 Nate Robertson – Win (3), 7 IP, 0 Rs, 5 Hs, 1 BB, 7 Ks, 3.77 ERA
#1 Carlos Guillen – 2-4 with a double and 4 RBI, .293 AVG

On Tap – Game 24 (14-9) v. Minnesota Twins (8-12) April 27th, 7:05 ET
Justin Verlander (2-2, 4.18) v. Carlos Silva (1-3, 8.33)

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #116
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10052 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The Olde English Ds's Blog

Message #117 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Re: Game 23: Detroit Tigers 9 Minnesota Twins 0
Date:  4/28/06, 7:09pm
graphic
The Twins are actually 9-13 on the year now. I guess I assume the baseball world comes to a complete stop when the Tigers have an off day.

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #117
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10892 reads

Message #118 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
rmayer78  
Date:  4/29/06, 7:14am
I still think Thames deserves a better chance! He's played in only half the games, has half the at bats, is only striking out once every seven at bats (only Guillen, Rodriguez, and Polanco are better), he rarely grounds out which means he stays out of double plays and when he flies out it's usually deep so runners can advance, he goes deeper into counts than everyone but Inge, Granderson, and Shelton, and he's homering once every twelve (only Shelton is better.) I still say it's tough to not play everyday and to perform as well as you can. I'm not so sure about his defense but he's only played 4 games in the field and he hasn't committed an error so the coaches may not think he's that great.

Anyway, another great game by their pitching! I'll be at the game today so hopefully Verlander can keep this amazing starting pitching streak alive! It's too good to be true!

Once again, stupid White Sox. Tigs are second in the whole of the American league though! So . . . Who's your Tiger?! I think we all (me and you) know who mine is.

Reply to Msg #118
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10890 reads

Message #119 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
rmayer78  
Date:  4/29/06, 7:23am
Oh yeah,what about the Tigers minor league pitching as well?! Ledezma, Durbin, and Miner are dominating the AAA ranks; Sanchez and Rogers at AA; Jurrjens, and half of the pitchers at West Michigan in A ball! There's not much room for error for the Tigers staff! Any trade predictions?

Reply to Msg #119
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10889 reads

Message #121 of 252  *NEW*
To:  rmayer78
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  4/29/06, 2:06pm
graphic
I'll take Carlos Guillen and his two HRs and 5 RBIs today as my positional player. Justin Verlander and his three wins and just over 3.5 ERA as my pitcher.

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #121
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10889 reads

Message #122 of 252  *NEW*
To:  rmayer78
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  4/29/06, 2:11pm
graphic
Regarding the minor league pitching...Kyle Sleeth the 3rd overall pick in 2003 is beginning to throw following Tommy John surgery. The Tigers system is starting to develop good young arms. You have to be getting excited about the future of this team.

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #122
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10886 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter