BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39478
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Detroit Tigers : Reading "AAA Starting Pitching" Thread

Message #166 of 252  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  AAA Starting Pitching
Date:  5/15/06, 9:57am
graphic
Not only does the present of the Detroit Tigers pitching staff look good, but so does the future. In addition to Bonderman and Verlander, the youngster who will form the top of the rotation for years to come, the Detroit system is getting quality efforts from their pitchers at AAA Toledo. Jordan Tata, who was with the big club pitching out of the pen, has just joined the rotation. He got roughed up in his first outing, but has shown he has the ability to pitch in the big leagues. Tata in a sense was promoted from the Tigers to the Mud Hens to work back into a starting role. The 24 year old Tata is not far from a return to the Tigers. Roman Colon replaced Tata in the Tigers pen after not allowing a run during his time at Toledo.

In seven starts Wilfredo Ledezma has pitched well striking out 43 batters in just under 40 innings of work. He is only 2-3, but has a 3.18 ERA and has only walked eleven batters for a 1.21 WHIP. Ledezma is a rule five pick from a few years ago that was expected to battle for a spot in either the rotation or the bullpen for the Tigers. He started last season in the rotation and with his lack of control quickly pitched his way back to the minors.

Chad Durbin is putting up great numbers. He is 3-1 with a 2.95 ERA in 42.2 innings. Durbin has struck out 32 while walking only 8 and has a 1.15 WHIP. Durbin is 28 years old with major league experience with KC, Cleveland and Arizona. Chad has not had much success at the big league level so far in his career.

Tiger fans are aware that the trade of Kyle Farnsworth brought Roman Colon who is now in the Tigers pen. The other pitcher involved in the trade was Zach Minor. The 23 year old is pitching lights out and according to Colon is ready to be in the big leagues. Minor is 5-0 with a 2.95 ERA in seven starts. He has walked 17 and struck out 31 while only allowing 31 hits in forty innings. He could turn out to be a major part of the Farnsworth trade instead of a throw in.

The final starter for Toledo is Colby Lewis with a 1-3 record but a solid 3.23 ERA. Lewis is 26 years old and formerly part of the Texas Rangers organization. He won 10 games for Texas in 2003 with a 7.30 ERA. He made three starts going 1-1 with a 4.11 ERA in 2004 before having to miss the rest of the season following rotator cuff surgery on his throwing shoulder. He adds some depth with some big league experience.

Lance Davis also made 4 starts, but he struggled going 0-2 with a 6.41 ERA. Davis will turn 30 in September and was a 16th round draft choice of the Reds in 1995. He is no longer in the Hens rotation.

The pitching for the 2005 International League Champs continues to be strong. Signs are looking up for the future of the Detroit Tigers.

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #166
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

12635 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The Olde English Ds's Blog

Message #167 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
Guest15371  
Subject:  AAA Starting Pitching
Date:  5/15/06, 10:51am
why do I have to keep registering for this site, I've posted a msg as therealpaws and it's forgotten me. I love the content, and you are a featured blogger on the main page, but I'm not signing up for the third time. GO Tiges, and learn to program you POS webmaster.

Reply to Msg #167
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13695 reads

Message #168 of 252  *NEW*
To:  Guest15371
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: AAA Starting Pitching
Date:  5/15/06, 2:27pm
>why do I have to keep registering for this site, I've posted a
>msg as therealpaws and it's forgotten me. I love the content,
>and you are a featured blogger on the main page, but I'm not
>signing up for the third time. GO Tiges, and learn to program
>you POS webmaster.

Somehow, I don't think POS means Pride of Sausalito.

Try logging in from the main page. I am guessing the login from the blog page is buggy because of recent changes to the software to prevent spam.

If you are logging in from the main page, then I would look into changing your Pride of Sausalito web browser.

Reply to Msg #168
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13692 reads

Message #169 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
therealPaws  
Date:  5/16/06, 11:03am
Ok, My bad, you ARE the pride of southfield like I was saying before (not sausilito). A simple incorrect password reply would be better than taking me back to the registration page, it implies to me it never got my ID in the first place when it does that. Anyway, Pack the park promo today, $5 upper box tix, get down there ya hosers. Root on Craig Monroe and the Olde English D's as they start another series sweep. One question, why is everyone on the air think we're not gonna win more than 90 games? Can they see into the future and there's gonna be a mass of injuries, that's the only way they don't keep a high 90's, 100 win pace going. Whatever, Go Tiges!

Reply to Msg #169
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13686 reads

Message #170 of 252  *NEW*
To:  therealPaws
Conor  
Date:  5/16/06, 8:50pm
That's not true..injury isn't the only thing that could stop the Tigers from winning 90+ games...their age and experience level can, and prob will do it to them. Without injury they COULD fight for a playoff spot (division or wild card) but age will do them in...being too young can be JUST harmful as being too old. Where the elder teams break down due to being worn out and lack of energy, young teams start to slow down because they aren't used to the workload and aren't used to the pressure come August and September. I'll be very surprised if the Brewers and Tigers are still putting up the same fight by time August rolls around. Don't get me wrong, very good, young teams. They'll put up one hell of a fight all year, but their lack of experience will hurt them a little bit IMO.

Reply to Msg #170
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13681 reads

Message #173 of 252  *NEW*
To:  Conor
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  5/17/06, 1:05pm
graphic
You may be right Conor, but I think the Tigers have a nice mix of veteran and younger players. In the starting rotation they have the leadership of Kenny Rogers. Maroth, Robertson and Bonderman though relatively young have all been in the rotation for at least three years. Verlander is in his first year, but he has an explosive arm. In the bullpen they have the veteran presence of Todd Jones, Fernando Rodney and Jamie Walker. Zumaya is only 21 year old, but despite the lack of experience his 100 mph fastballs are tough to face in the 7th. Offensively the Tigers have experience throughout the line-up. Pudge Rodriguez, Magglio Ordonez, Placido Polanco, Carlos Guillen, Dmitri Young, Craig Monroe and Brandon Inge are not young, inexperienced players. Pudge has a World Series championship and the rest have proven to be professional hitters. The only youngsters the Tigers rely on offensively are Chris Shelton and Curtis Granderson. Shelton showed promise the last half of 2005 as did Granderson. Shelton isn't expected to carry the load from the 6th or 7th spot in the order. Granderson has more pressure out of the lead-off spot, but has shown the ability to draw walks. Although I thought he would be more of a base stealing threat.

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #173
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13680 reads

Message #175 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds
Conor  
Date:  5/17/06, 6:17pm
those are good points, very good points actually. The main argument I have here is just that it's not so much the players have inexperience playing baseball, but they have inexperience playing competitive August baseball...or playoff push baseball. I like the Tigers, I do, and I hope the Tigers come out with the central title (I had Cleveland coming out of that division in my own predictions, but I like the Tigers to be a dark horse), I'm just saying I won't be surprised if a lot of those players don't realize the situation they are in come August/September. But, I hope they do.

Reply to Msg #175
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13680 reads

Message #176 of 252  *NEW*
To:  Conor
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  5/17/06, 7:49pm
graphic
You are right about that Conor. I don't know if the Tigers have any playoff experience besides Pudge. Other guys such as Magglio have been in division races, but most of the Tigers have not. I also worry about the meaningful game experience for Detroit. In particular, I worry about Tiger fans. Those of us under 30 are not old enough to remember them playing meanful game and many older fans have forgot by now. Hopefully we figure out what it is like to be a baseball town again, especially now with the Pistons struggling and on the brink of elimination.

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #176
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13675 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter