BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40830
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Fantasy Baseball : Reading "Hi, I am Green Caesar" Thread

Message #121 of 405  *NEW*
To:  All
Green Caesar  
Subject:  Hi, I am Green Caesar
Date:  3/4/06, 3:55pm
graphic
The idea of using this blog as a sort of running diary of my 2006 fantasy baseball season came to me when Rob & Greg were discussing the free blogs offered on www.baseballgeeks.com during one of their podcasts. I knew that I was going to do a Game Day Ritual league and it looks like I will be doing a Baseball Manager league with the Reedster, as well. That puts me in two leagues. Just right if you ask me. During the football season, I am committed to three leagues that have been going on for 10+ years each. I don’t exactly like being in three leagues, but it is three different groups of friends that I enjoy, so I suck it up. (I once did four leagues and thank goodness for the internet or never would have known what players were on my roster!)

Who is Green Caesar? My name is Chris Spencer. I grew up in Battle Creek, MI … spent 5 years at Michigan State University … live in the Detroit area for three years and then moved down to Atlanta ten years ago and have lived here ever since. I have been married to my lovely wife, Lisa for 4.5 years. We currently have no children, but we are working on that.

My fantasy sports history? Of the three football leagues I mentioned above, I am the Commissioner of one that just finished its 12th season. I have made the playoffs 10 times; winning the Championship in 2001 & 2002. In fact, 2001 was my magical year in football. I won all three leagues that year and earned over $1000 and a free pass from the wife to play in any fantasy sports leagues that I want. Which brings me to baseball this year. Back in the mid-to-late 90s, I played just about every fantasy sport available on the then free, Sandbox website. I focused primarily on football until three years ago when some guys in the office wanted to put together a NL only league. That league rekindled my interest in fantasy baseball, so when we decided that we had to fold that league, I looked online to get my fix.

Reply to Msg #121
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13555 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

Green Caesar's GeekBlog

Message #122 of 405  *NEW*
To:  Green Caesar's GeekBlog Thread
Green Caesar  
Subject:  Hi, I am Green Caesar
Date:  3/4/06, 3:56pm (Last Edited: 3/4/06, 3:58pm)
graphic
My fantasy baseball philosophy? I have had a lot of success with a strategy called Value Based Drafting. I read about from www.FootballGuys.com and have applied with great success in my football leagues. I have since applied it to my work league and it took me to the Championship game two seasons ago and the Championship last season. If you are not familiar with VBD as it is called, here is a brief explanation:

The basic principle of VBD is: The value of a player is determined not by the number of points he scores, but by how much he outscores his peers at his particular position.

Think about it like this. We are NOT trying to assemble a group of the highest scoring players with no regard to position. If that were the case, the best team would be full of outfielders & first basemen. We are bound by our starting lineups as to the positions we must fill. Our team, consisting of a specified number of players from the specified positions will compete against the other teams consisting of the same number of players from the same positions. Think of it in terms of individual matchups pitting your team against another team, position by position.

Here's an example. For simplicity's sake, let's just say your starting roster is 1 first basemen, 1 second basemen, 1 third basemen and 1 shortstop. In a one game matchup (a week in real-time) against your buddy, your first baseman outscores his first baseman 18 to 16 (+2 points). You're up 2. Your second baseman is outscored by his second baseman 7 to 12 (-5 points). Now you're down by 3. Your third baseman outscores his third baseman 15 to 5 (+10 points). Now you're back up by 12. Your shortstop outscores his shortstop 17 to 16 (+1 point) This puts you up 8. You win the matchup 57 to 49.

Listen up now. The point differences at each position, when totaled, will determine the winner. In this case it was a total team difference of 8 points. Simple, right?

Now here's the important question. Let's say you and the owner above are going to throw all 8 players back into the pool, have a draft, fill your 4 man roster and play a 1 game season. For the sake of argument, these are the only 8 players available to draft ( 2 first basemen, 2 second basemen, 2 third basemen and 2 shortstops ) and you already know they're going to post the points I've stated. You must draft 1 first baseman, 1 second baseman, 1 third baseman, and 1 shortstop. Who would you draft first?

It's an absolute no brainer. The third baseman who scores 15 points MUST be the #1 draft pick. The 15 point third baseman is by far the most valuable player even though he scored less points than both first basemen and both shortstops. Why? Because he gives you a 10 point advantage at third base while the better first baseman only gives a 2 point advantage, the better shortstop gives a 1 point advantage and the better second baseman gives a 5 point advantage. The third baseman’s 15 points were much more valuable than the first baseman’s 18 points and the shortstop’s 17 points because of how the player relates to his peers. It's like tic-tac-toe. The season is over once the third baseman is taken.
I will go into this more when I post my pre-draft strategies later.

Reply to Msg #122
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15498 reads

Message #124 of 405  *NEW*
To:  Green Caesar
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Hi, I am Green Caesar
Date:  3/4/06, 8:56pm (Last Edited: 3/4/06, 9:00pm)
Interesting stuff Green Caesar! Welcome to Baseballgeeks! I am Dr. Rub. Looking forward to more of your stratagy. Would Green Caesar have anything to do with the Michigan St. mascot? If so, that is pretty cool!

I love fantasy sports as well. I have been in fantasy football for about 8 years now. I've only won one championship in fantasy football, but I've only missed the playoffs in one of the 2 leagues I'm in once. I've been to the championship game 4 times, only to fall short 3 of the 4 times.

As far as fantasy baseball, I've only participated in the baseballmanager format for 3 seasons. My first 2 seasons, I was only in one league. I made the World Series both years. My first season, I finished second just one game back of first with a 89-73 record. I lost my first year in the World Series & won my league's World Series the second year, including the regular season with a 101-61 record. I won my league my 12 games in the final regular season standings. Last season, I was in 2 leagues. My original league, I sucked it up last season, finishing 6th out of 10 with a 77-85 record. However, in my new league, I went to the World Series, finishing second in the regular season with a 90-72 record, but I lost in 6 in the World Series. In my original league, our league was rated the second toughest all universe league in the country for 2 seasons in a row under the baseballmanager system. We have a very fun & competitive league with some very good managers. One of those great managers is Rob Reed. He is also on this website. It is his creation. His nickname on this site is Reedster.

Welcome aboard Green Caesar!

Reply to Msg #124
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15495 reads

Message #126 of 405  *NEW*
Green Caesar  
Date:  3/5/06, 2:35pm
graphic
Dr,

Yes, Caesar was a nickname given to me at Michigan State and I just put the Green in front because green is my favorite color, of course!

Reedster has informed me that you have an open spot in your league ... and from what I understand, I was offered that spot ... if so, please get me the league info so that I can get my team in there. I have already paid for a team at the Baseball Manager site, I just need to join a league)

Chris

Reply to Msg #126
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15490 reads

Message #127 of 405  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  3/5/06, 4:01pm
Green Caesar,

If it were up to me, you would definately be in. This is a league that Rob started years & years ago though, so it is his baby & his decision. You will have to contact Rob from here to get that league number. It seems to me that there were 2 or 3 possible people to fill that last spot, but I'm not exactly sure. I think you were probably one of those people. I don't want to step on Rob's toes. Filling the last spot was something I believe he was working on. I'm sure your chances of getting that last spot are very good.

Reply to Msg #127
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15490 reads

Message #128 of 405  *NEW*
Reedster  
Date:  3/5/06, 4:04pm
>Reedster has informed me that you have an open spot in your
>league ... and from what I understand, I was offered that spot
>... if so, please get me the league info so that I can get my
>team in there. I have already paid for a team at the Baseball
>Manager site, I just need to join a league)

Chris:

The spot is yours... I'm waiting for the regulars to sign up to confirm the opening. Once we are at 8, I will email you the particulars. Should be within the next week.

-Rob

Reply to Msg #128
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

3801 reads

Message #130 of 405  *NEW*
Boogaman  
Date:  3/5/06, 4:12pm
Welcome to the league Green Caesar. I have always subscribed to that same VBD strategy. I also subscribe to Football Guys.

Reply to Msg #130
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15484 reads

Message #132 of 405  *NEW*
Green Caesar  
Date:  3/6/06, 12:56pm
graphic
Boog, Dr & Reedster,

Thanks for letting me join the league.

I hope to do my best against all you "pros" this season.

Can you pass on any Baseball Manager specific tips?
I have never been in a league like it and I have read through the manual twice ... I know that there are some things that I the manual doesn't tell you. Of course, you could hold back that info and let me experience my "rookie mistakes" on my own.

Chris

Reply to Msg #132
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15480 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter