BaseballGeeks
User: Guest11084
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Fantasy Baseball : Reading "My Roto draft results " Thread

Message #206 of 405  *NEW*
To:  All
Green Caesar  
Subject:  My Roto draft results
Date:  4/5/06, 2:03pm (Last Edited: 4/5/06, 3:49pm)
graphic
As I am wrinting this, I am holding onto a slim 16 point lead in my GDR Week #1 matchup … which will be bigger as soon as Bonderman’s good outing is figured in (31 points!).

On Friday a friend of mine emailed me about a last minute opening in his 10 Team 5x5 Classic Roto league. I really didn’t want to do a 3rd league this season, but the fact that the other two are not Roto-Style leagues and that I was amped up for Opening Day … I said yes. The draft was Saturday afternoon, so I had about 24 hours to prepare.

My strategy going in was to not draft any pitchers until Round 5 at the earliest. I wanted to go for hitting early and often and mix in some speed where possible. I have not been in a Roto league for a long time (4 years?) … so I am a little rusty. I need to pay attention to all 10 categories and position scarcity. Using my mad Excel skills, I MacGyvered up a spreadsheet using my projections from my GDR FAB that allowed me to see the other teams totals in all 10 scoring categories as well as calculating the standings based on those totals. Worked great when I tested it …

Didn’t work as well during the draft. I didn’t realize that there was a TWO MINUTE limit to make your selection during the draft. That made things quite hectic to say the least.

LINEUP: C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF(3),UTIL,SP(2),RP(2),P(3) & Bench(7)

Here is my draft:

Round – Player
1 – C Crawford (OF)
2 – C Figgins (2B,3B,OF)
3 – T Helton (1B)
4 – J Rollins (SS)
5 – B Myers (SP)
6 – T Glaus (3B)
7 – K Wells (SP)
8 – B Webb (SP)
9 – M Holliday (OF)
10 – K Johjima (C)
11 – J Hermida (OF)
12 – J Valverde (RP)
13 – J Lackey (SP)
14 – R Dempster (RP)
15 – J Thome (1B)
16 – C Orvella (RP)
17 – C Reitsma (RP)
18 – R Freel (2B,3B, OF)
19 – J Vazquez (SP)
20 – J Blanton (SP)
21 – P Wilson (OF)
22 – S Shields (RP)
23 – W Pena (OF)

See anything wrong? Go through it once again … you probably see it right after the Glaus pick. That is what happens when you have two minutes to make a pick and look up to realize that the clock is down to 15 seconds … I meant to pick up Webb (who I was able to get on the way back in the 8th). This screwed up my draft for the next few rounds. I wanted to grab Webb and then go with a Closer. Street & Wagner were still out there … I don’t know if I did the right thing. Time will tell. The Orvella pick in the 16th was due to not checking the news that morning … didn’t realize that he was sent down.

Immediately after the draft, I was able to drop Wells and pick up Barrett (C) and then I dropped Orvella to pick up Linebrink (RP). There is a max 1420 IP limit … and according to my projections, I will be 15 IP short of that limit. Shields & Linebrink should help me in WHIP & ERA and get me the occasional W or SV.

Giving me a lineup of:
C - Johjima
1B - Helton
2B - Figgins
3B - Glaus
SS - Rollins
OF - Crawford
OF - Holliday
OF - Hermida
UT - Thome
RP - Valverde
RP - Dempster
P - Reitsma
P - Shields
P - Linebrink
Both SP Slots - Whomever is starting out of Myers, Webb, Lackey, Vazquez & Blanton.

We are allowed daily transactions, so when a player is off I will sub in someone off of the bench.

Tell me what you think,
Chris

Oh, and Thome in Round 15 is shaping up to be a monster steal …

Reply to Msg #206
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

2412 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

Green Caesar's GeekBlog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter