BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40075
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "'(A)t age 30, this pitcher didn't look even remotely as a Cooperstown candidate--after all, he was just a .500 hurler (52-52) and was coming off a 9-10, 3.19 ERA season.'" Thread

Message #1120 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  '(A)t age 30, this pitcher didn't look even remotely as a Cooperstown candidate--after all, he was just a .500 hurler (52-52) and was coming off a 9-10, 3.19 ERA season.'
Date:  4/08/05, 10:10pm (Last Edited: 4/9/05, 3:21pm)
Can you guess who this pitcher is? Interesting article on said pitcher.

Reply to Msg #1120
Back to Topics

2272 reads

881 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #1127 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: '(A)t age 30, this pitcher didn't look even remotely as a Cooperstown candidate--after all, he was just a .500 hurler (52-52) and was coming off a 9-10, 3.19 ERA season.'
Date:  4/9/05, 6:59pm
Curt Schilling? That's hard to believe. I know he started his career in Baltimore in the late '80's, but I vaguely followed American League players back then. Since I've been in an all-universe Baseball Manager's League for the past few years, I obviously have to now. Besides, I've always been more of a National League kind of guy, since my preference is to watch top-notch pitching rather than guys swinging for the fences all day. It seems like Schilling has been one of the most dominant pitchers in the league since he arrived in Philly in the early '90's, so those sub-par numbers in his early career are a big surprise.
Before I looked at the article, the first pitcher that came to my mind was Sandy Koufax, but he retired at age 30. Today, he's considered by many to be the greatest left-handed pitcher of all time. Just think of how many good years he had left in him. Believe it or not, Koufax had a hard time adjusting to the big leagues in the mid '50's. At that time, Dodger GM Buzzie Bavasi cut another lackluster southpaw pitcher, Tommy Lasorda, in favor of Koufax. Lasorda argued that they should cut Koufax instead because "that guy couldn't throw the ball into a barnyard door".
Great trivia question for any Baseball Geeks and fanatics.

Reply to Msg #1127
Back to Topics

2715 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter