BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40546
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Marlins will meet with officials in Portland, OR about possible relocation next week " Thread

Message #1614 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Marlins will meet with officials in Portland, OR about possible relocation next week
Date:  1/06/06, 11:33pm
Both Florida teams have been having trouble attracting fans to their ballparks. This is particularly bizarre when it concerns the Marlins, since they already have two World Series rings in their thirteen seasons as a franchise. I believe the cause of this is due to the fact that most ballclubs have had their spring training in Florida since the '40's. Because of this, most Floridians have stayed loyal to the teams who spend the springtime closest to their homes. Of course, you can't forget that many people down there are from other places, especially the east coast, so they obviously continue to root for their hometown teams. If the Marlins want to draw a loyal fan base of their own, then the best move for them would probably be to move to Portland or Vegas, where people are hungry for a baseball team.

Reply to Msg #1614
Back to Topics

4443 reads

1622 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #1617 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Guest4889 (IP: 68.59.55.101)  
Subject:  Re: Marlins will meet with officials in Portland, OR about possible relocation next week
Date:  1/7/06, 8:08am
I agree with you to an extent Jaydawg. However, I personally don't want to see that happen. I believe a lot of it has to do with baseball not having a salary cap. The rich keep getting richer & the poor keep getting poorer. The Marlins & Devil Rays fall into the poor category unfortunately. This even after the Marlins having 2 world series titles. But, what happens after the Marlins win a World Series? They have a big firesale in the offseason because they can't afford to keep those players, which in turn disgusts a lot of their fans & they lose interests the following upcoming season because they couldn't afford to resign the guys who won them that World Series. A franchise like the Yankees on the other hand, if they win a Worls Series, or even if they don't, they can just reload every season & still easily sign a lot of the guys they have returning. The Yankees can cherry pick the free agency market. THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH BASEBALL! This is why teams like the Marlins & Devil Rays stay poor & can't win, or even have a chance to win from year to year. And, we all know what happens when professional sports teams don't win. They don't draw in fan support. Fans don't buy season tickets. Sales at the gates go way down. This in turn leads to the owners of these such franchises not making any money & possibly losing money. A lot of it is just puting a winning product on the field, but how can you compete with teams like the Yankees win they monopolize everything. A lot of that reason is because is there is no salary cap. Teams like the Yankees can cherry pick the hot free agents off teams like the Marlins & Devil Rays. It's just not right!

Honestly, even though this may be shocking or sound crazy to most people, I love going to watch the Devil Rays in their own stadium, Tropicana Field. It is in a dome. It is comfortable, air conditioned, very plush believe it or not. Ticket sales are pretty cheap at the gate. You can almost sit anywhere you want. Concessions are very reasonable, in comparison to the other stadiums of major league teams I have been to. Parking is pretty easy. I don't want the Devil Rays to leave. It is a fun place in my opinion, & also surprisingly conveniant to watch a major league baseball game. The Devil Rays have the right idea in a very hot & humid Florida. Now if they can only put a consistantly winning product on the field, which we all know will probably never happen because major league baseball & the way it is currently structured will never allow that to happen. A salary cap would solve a lot of problems I believe with the Florida teams & teams like the Royals, Tigers, Padres, etc. I've been to Dodger Stadium, Turner Field in Atlanta, & Tropicana Field. I must tell you that from just a plain out convenience & comfort standpoint, I enjoyed Tropicana Field the most. No disrespect to Dodger Stadium, or Turner Field, there fields are prettier & better manicured than Tampa's. But, try watching a baseball game in Atlanta in mid July. It's too damn hot & it sucks. I'n sure LA & Miami would be the same way probably. That is what the Trop has over everybody!

Reply to Msg #1617
Back to Topics

5902 reads

Message #1624 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest4889 (IP: 68.59.55.101)
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Marlins will meet with officials in Portland, OR about possible relocation next week
Date:  1/7/06, 12:03pm
Last message by drrubb, as if you couldn't figure that out. I forgot to sign in.

Reply to Msg #1624
Back to Topics

5902 reads

Message #1625 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest4889 (IP: 68.59.55.101)
Guest4900 (IP: 67.81.156.61)  
Date:  1/7/06, 1:56pm
There's another solution to making baseball teams more competetive: "Contract the ones that don't have fans."

Fact is, there are probably too many teams right now, and if you aren't drawing fans, it's time to close up shop. Normal businesses are bound to the laws of economics, but sports franchises aren't?

Listen, I think its noble to want your team to succeed, but the fact is, if you're team isn't drawing fans, it's not because they don't sign big-time free agents like the Yankees. The Phillies have one of the highest payrolls in the majors and they don't draw huge crowds -- why?

The Phillies may have a big payroll, but they still lose a lot of games (conversely, there are a number of teams that win on small payrolls). Not only do they lose though, they fail to market themselves to fans.

What does a salary cap create?

How about a Yankees team that consisted of A-Rod and a bunch of minor leaguers? Or a Red Sox team that only had Manny and nobody else with talent? Big name players are still going to get big-name money, but the game will become shitty and boring, and fewer opportunities for major league talents will exist. How many teams RIGHT NOW are anchored by a single offensive superstar?

Fans create the problem. Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds have all been turned from potential contributors to a great team, into simple marketing gimmicks. They get their stats and break their records, but it doesn't help the team. Fans flock to the stadiums out in those cities to see it though.

There was a time when fans cared about baseball. When kids played in the sandlot. Now we're talking salary caps and all this other bullshit that is just going to support the creation and promotion of more gimmick teams.

If a team isn't making money, it should shut down or move. Simple as that.

Really though, when you look at it, it's not about money, its about good management. The A's are an excellent example of what a team can be on a small payroll.

One big problem I have with a salary cap though, is that it completely changes the dynamic of the hometown hero. Guys like Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter, who played their whole careers in one town won't be able to under a cap. If you develop too many good players, you're punished for it by not being able to keep them all. Jeter came up through the Yankees system and now he makes something like $20million a year. They didn't buy him -- they drafted him and developed him. The fans invested in him too.

With a salary cap though, he'd be out the door. Football is like this. Talented players become cap-casualties all the time.

Reply to Msg #1625
Back to Topics

5900 reads

Message #1630 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest4900 (IP: 67.81.156.61)
drrubb  
Date:  1/7/06, 7:00pm
And to me, no disrepect to baseball, the NFL is far more entertaining because you don't really know who is going to win the championship from year to year. Do you really think it is about good management? Do you think Joe Torre could have the same kind of success in Tampa Bay or Kansas City as he has had with the Yankees? I'll give Torre this, he is a good manager. But even I could manage the Yankees to a 500 record or better with their money, even though I have no managerial experience, other than fantasy football & baseball which obviously don't count. Do you think Torre could lead the Devil Rays to even just a winning record, say 82-80, with Tampa Bay's very low budget? Tampa Bay had Pinella as a manager. He is a very good manager also, atleast many baseball people believe so. What has he ever done in Tampa? You can't convince me that money has nothing to do with it. Sure, a mid range market team can get to the World Series once in a while, like the Astros & White Sox, but they can't do it or atleast challenge for it every season like the Yankees do. Bottom line, Steinbrenner & the Yankees have the money to put a winner on the field consistantly. It may not guarantee success, but it sure as hell helps! Small market teams do not have that luxury. It is way way harder for a small market team to compete like the Yankees or anywhere close on a year in & year out basis.

Reply to Msg #1630
Back to Topics

5900 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter