BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39996
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Mike Sweeney claims to have been offered the 'juice' by K.C. teammates in '99 " Thread

Message #1699 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Mike Sweeney claims to have been offered the 'juice' by K.C. teammates in '99
Date:  1/14/06, 09:45am
This is a surprising revelation, considering the fact that the Royals finished 32 games behind the Indians in 1999. Though, they did have a team average of .282 and a then franchise-record of 856 runs scored. But, they still couldn't compete with the Yankees and the big boys around the league. See what I mean when I state that the salary cap issue should become the next big hurdle to overcome in the game? Mike Sweeney is a fine player in his own right, but think about what would've happened if he accepted the juice from teammates.

Reply to Msg #1699
Back to Topics

4051 reads

clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #1708 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Mike Sweeney claims to have been offered the 'juice' by K.C. teammates in '99
Date:  1/14/06, 9:50pm
Preach on Jaydawg! It seems as if you & I are the only 2 people on this website who thinks their needs to be a salary cap in baseball. I since a bit of hatred in your messages towards the Yankees as well. If that is the case, good for you! We must fight the beast that is destroying baseball, which is Stienbrenner & the Yankees.

Reply to Msg #1708
Back to Topics

4671 reads

Message #1710 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: Mike Sweeney claims to have been offered the 'juice' by K.C. teammates in '99
Date:  1/14/06, 11:54pm
I don't really despise the Yankees per se. My opposition is more directed towards George Steinbrenner and his sleazy tactics. Overall, the Yankees have a fine history with Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, and so on. One of my favorite baseball movies of all time is "61", which depicts the trials and tribulations surrounding Maris and Mantle when Ruth's home run record was broken. Unfortunately, Steinbrenner has tarnished much of the Yankees stellar reputation for the past three decades. The team I really despise is the one from the Bay Area with the Halloween costumes. They haven't won a single ring since their move to the West Coast, yet many of their fans have a pompous attitude and think that the Giants are God's gift to baseball.
But, seriously, Mike Sweeney's latest revelation is more proof that a salary cap is needed in the game. A small-budget team still can't compete with the Yankees even when several of its players are all juiced up.

Reply to Msg #1710
Back to Topics

820 reads

Message #1712 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
drrubb  
Date:  1/15/06, 8:13am
Well, I know you don't exactly hate the Yankees , but Atleast you hate Stienbrenner. Atleast that is hating a major part of the Yankees despite their glorified history. I still believe that the reason the Yankees were so glorified back in those days were just simply because they were in New York City. Even back then, they had to be the largest market in the nation. They were easier to cover from a media standpoint because they were in the media mecha of the country, if not the world. Therefore, they become the most accessible team to cover. It just so happens that those players were great players to, but here is my question. If Ruth, Mantle, Gerhig, & all there other historic players would have played for the Kansas City team back then, or Cleveland for instance, would they have received the same kind of fame & glory as they did with the New York Yankees? I know they were great players, but I believe they wouldn't have been as highly revered & glorified if they did not play with the Yankees. Sure, they still would have been very good players if they were with other teams. But, we all know how that New York media can turn a good player into a great player & even a legend. I don't want to take away from the accomplishments those Yankee greats accomplished, but, would they be as well known as they are if they didn't play for the Yankees? You talk about the Yankees great history & tradition. Sure, a lot of that was generated by winning. However, how much of that winning was generated by money & the financial power they probably had over all of the other major league teams in that era just because they played in the largest market. Large markets tend to generate a lot more money than small markets. It doesn't guarantee it, but it is far more likely. It is just simple economics. If a franchise is located in a very high profile area & a very heavy populated area, they are most likely going to have a lot bigger draw at the gate. The more people who watch a team, the more popular they become. The more popular they become, the more fans & even "bandwagon" fans they generate. The more interest a team generates, the more likely the team's merchandise is purchased & sought after, like Yankees paraphinalia(Not sure I spelled that right). The more fans you have, popularity you have, & merchandise that is bought because of the product you put on the field, especially being in the city of NEW York, the more glamourous your team looks & the more attention by the media you get. No wonder the Yankees have monopolized baseball & the country for that matter. You either love them or hate them.

Reply to Msg #1712
Back to Topics

4667 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter