BaseballGeeks
User: Guest33758
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Felipe Alou is thinking of putting Barry Bonds in the No. 2 spot " Thread

Message #1776 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Felipe Alou is thinking of putting Barry Bonds in the No. 2 spot
Date:  1/21/06, 10:05am
This is a bad idea, even if Barry has to be taken out with injury troubles in the later innings. The top two guys in the lineups are the table setters for the power hitters to bring them home. With an injury-plagued Moises Alou as your only other big guy in the lineup, the Giants will have a hard time scoring runs under this scenario and Ba-Bo would be walked even more than usual. Ray Durham and Randy Winn are more appropriate for their top two spots.

Reply to Msg #1776
Back to Topics

5014 reads

1276 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #1778 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
LetsGoBucs  
Subject:  Re: Felipe Alou is thinking of putting Barry Bonds in the No. 2 spot
Date:  1/21/06, 2:50pm
Well, if you're right, and he is frequently walked, then that's a runner on base for the 3, 4, and 5 men a few times a game guaranteed. Also trouble.

Reply to Msg #1778
Back to Topics

5595 reads

Message #1780 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  LetsGoBucs
drrubb  
Date:  1/21/06, 3:32pm
I agree with both of you. You both make good points. Durham & Winn are best suited for the 1 & 2 spots in their batting order. However, what if Barry were to lead off? Are the opposing teams/pitchers going to automatically walk the leadoff hitter. If not, they would have to pitch to him. Batting number 2 like Alou has thought about isn't a bad idea either in that if the leadoff hitter gets on, do you walk Barry & put the first 2 hitters on base, without the defense recording an out? That sounds offly risky to me as well, although, with his bad knees, he might be more likely to ground into double plays if you pitch to him after the leadoff man gets on. He is so patient at the plate though!

Reply to Msg #1780
Back to Topics

5592 reads

Message #1783 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
baseballguy1021  
Date:  1/21/06, 10:42pm
Whatever batting spot Barry is put in, there will be no one behind him to protect him in the batting order. The Giants are a weak hitting team as it is and with Barry already 40+ years old, this move would not benefit the team. No matter what happens, Barry will do his job, but the rest of the team will not hold up their end of the deal. If I were F. Alou, I would put Barry in the 3 spot and have M. Alou after him batting cleanup to try to have Barry see the most good pitches as possible and offer the most protection.

Reply to Msg #1783
Back to Topics

5589 reads

Message #1796 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  baseballguy1021
Guest5780 (IP: 66.71.99.209)  
Date:  1/22/06, 8:58pm
Seems like the Giants are going to be a bit of a nuisance, but not a real threat. I can't see the playoffs, but I can see a decent record.

Reply to Msg #1796
Back to Topics

5589 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter