BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40874
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Who's The Greatest Dodger First Baseman of All Time? " Thread

Message #1823 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Who's The Greatest Dodger First Baseman of All Time?
Date:  1/24/06, 7:04pm
When you think about it, the Dodgers have had very underrated first basemen throughout it's history, particularly with Gil Hodges and Steve Garvey. For some reason, both of these guys have never been given a Hall of Fame plaque. Both of them are more deserving than several other first basemen honored in Cooperstown, like Tony Perez, for starters. I don't understand why Hodges has been kept out, but Garvey has been blackballed primarily because of his monthly paternity suits that he used to battle as a player.

My vote for greatest Dodger first baseman goes to Steve Garvey because most people in the poll are going with Hodges (I'm a guy who goes for underdogs) and I'm old enough to remember Steve's playing days. What a sight to see! Hodges numbers are slightly better, but Garvey is one of baseball's greatest iron men. I believe he still holds the National League record for consecutive games played.

Another Dodger first baseman who has never received the recognition he deserves is Eric Karros. During the '90's, E.K. was Mr. Clutch for the Blue Crew and he was the guy who always came through when the game was on the line. Yet, Karros was never picked to play in an All-Star game.

Reply to Msg #1823
Back to Topics

7470 reads

1884 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The DawgHouse

Message #1826 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Who's The Greatest Dodger First Baseman of All Time?
Date:  1/24/06, 7:49pm
It really is no contest between Garvey and Hodges. Truth be told, I didn't like Garvey when I was a kid because of his arrogance, but I loved his play.

I didn't appreciate his presence until he was traded to the Padres.

Still, the stats don't lie.

And, while I give Tony Perez a hard time for making it to the HOF, his longevity (and pennants and World Series rings) could be a reason why voters went for him vs. Hodges and Garvey. Personally, I would vote in Hodges. I would not vote in Garvey.

Garvey

.294 BA, .329 OBP, 272 HR, 1308 RBI, 83 SB, 19 seasons

Hodges

.273, .359, 370, 1274, 31, 18 seasons

Perez

.279 .341 379 1652 49, 23 seasons

Reply to Msg #1826
Back to Topics

6483 reads

Message #1838 of 6634  *NEW*
familyman  
Date:  1/25/06, 5:13pm
Don't know much about Hodges, but the stats are fairly close. Garvey was a clutch hitter and big presence in baseball. I go with Garv.

Jaydawg. I thought Karros was a very good first basemen. A hard-nosed player who came through for the Dodgers often. He was also a guy who did not do steroids yet consistently hit around 30 or more homers. Honestly, if steroids had not factored in, he would have been one of the top power hitters at 1B.

Reply to Msg #1838
Back to Topics

2169 reads

Message #1841 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  familyman
Jaydawg  
Date:  1/25/06, 6:11pm (Last Edited: 1/25/06, 6:13pm)
I totally agree with your observations of Garvey and Karros. Garvey hit less homers than Hodges, but you have to keep in mind that he was used mostly as a utility player for his first 3-4 seasons. Wes Parker, a little underrated himself, was the Dodger first baseman when Garv first started with the Blue Crew. For inquiring minds who want to know, Parker was the very last Dodger to hit for the cycle on May 7, 1970. Overall, Garvey and Hodges are just as deserving--if not more--than Tony Perez of having a plaque at Cooperstown.
As for Karros, he's not quite in the Hall of Fame league, but I don't think I've seen a player who's more underrated in my lifetime. The fact that E.K. didn't use the juice during the steroid era is a big plus in my book. Karros also had great leadership qualities, so hopefully he'll be a manager someday.

Reply to Msg #1841
Back to Topics

7997 reads

Message #1845 of 6634  *NEW*
spikeshigh  
Date:  1/25/06, 7:09pm
graphic
Jaydawg, its nice that someone brought up the name Wes Parker, even thought he didnt swing a big bat like Karros, Garvey or Hodges, he did have the best glove of them all! Parker won the gold glove from 1967 to 1972. I guess when you ask who was the Dodgera "best frist baseman" you gotta throw in Parker. Good call .
Even though karros is one of my least favorite Dodgers, he was clutch, consistent and a damn good role model for the kids.

my vote would be for Hodges though. Someone who deserves to be in the Hall.

--------------------------------------------------------
"If youre not cheating youre not trying"

Reply to Msg #1845
Back to Topics

6440 reads

Message #1859 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  spikeshigh
Jaydawg  
Date:  1/26/06, 7:39pm
I never saw Wes Parker play--I'm not old enough--, but I've heard endless stories about his dazzling defensive plays. In fact, the only time I saw Wes was on an episode of "The Brady Bunch". He played the boyfriend of Greg's Math teacher--the one he had a crush on. Parker is another in a long line of underrated Dodger first basemen, not to mention infielders.

Reply to Msg #1859
Back to Topics

7987 reads

Message #1864 of 6634  *NEW*
spikeshigh  
Date:  1/27/06, 6:32pm
graphic
LOL ...I am gonna have to check out that episode. My Grandfather who was anti-Dodger use to tell me about Wes over and over again..He was impressed with his defensive skills. What we need is a channel dedicated to Classic Baseball (that sounds soooo nice). What ever happened to the Homerun derby episodes they use to air on ESPN longtime ago?

SPIKESHIGH!!!!

"If your not cheating youre not trying"

"If youre not cheating youre not trying"

Reply to Msg #1864
Back to Topics

7985 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter