BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40659
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Bret Boone on retiring: 'I had lost the edge. I couldn't look in the mirror and think that I would get that edge back'. " Thread

Message #2541 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Bret Boone on retiring: 'I had lost the edge. I couldn't look in the mirror and think that I would get that edge back'.
Date:  3/12/06, 12:45pm
Boone is to be commended on knowing when to put the cletes up. Some players who are well past their prime (i.e. Julio Franco) may keep playing in the game for the love of it--and I respect that--, but they're cheating their teams and fans when they have little use for them. The Julio Franco's of the world could do a better service by becoming coaches once they're old enough to be just about every player's father.

Reply to Msg #2541
Back to Topics

2584 reads

1734 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2545 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Conor  
Subject:  Re: Bret Boone on retiring: 'I had lost the edge. I couldn't look in the mirror and think that I would get that edge back'.
Date:  3/12/06, 1:53pm
I don't see how a player who was signed by a team is "cheating" the team. Franco just signed a contract so his team obviously feels there's a place for him. Same went with Boone. If he decided NOT to retire the Mets would have used him where they felt he would help the most.

It's different I guess if the old player is in the middle of a long term deal and they just can't hack it. Or at least can't hack it enough to earn the money he was contracted to get. But then again, teams sign players for lengths of contracts in which they feel that player can help their team. Sometimes they aren't smart contracts on the team's part, but that's their fault, not the players'

Reply to Msg #2545
Back to Topics

3158 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter