BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40438
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Steroid Stats? Barry Bonds averaged 31.8 home runs a season from 1986-99, while getting 51.6 between 2000-04, including a record of 73 in '01... To all of Ba-Bo's defenders who say, show me your facts...... Well, here they are.. " Thread

Message #3585 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Steroid Stats? Barry Bonds averaged 31.8 home runs a season from 1986-99, while getting 51.6 between 2000-04, including a record of 73 in '01... To all of Ba-Bo's defenders who say, show me your facts...... Well, here they are..
Date:  5/29/06, 7:10pm
As the years go by, a lot of people will think of Barry as a waste of talent. Prior to taking steroids six years ago, he was considered one of the all-time greats. It's a mystery as to why he decided to take a chance and squander the whole thing.

Reply to Msg #3585
Back to Topics

5127 reads

1828 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #3588 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Guest16104 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Subject:  Re: Steroid Stats? Barry Bonds averaged 31.8 home runs a season from 1986-99, while getting 51.6 between 2000-04, including a record of 73 in '01... To all of Ba-Bo's defenders who say, show me your facts...... Well, here they are..
Date:  5/30/06, 6:11am
Ego. Remember Bonds grew up in upper white suburbia because his dad had baseball money. Most of Bonds friends growing up were white and so is his steroid scandel girlfriend. He always had a stigma attached to him, at least in his own mind, and strived to be just like everyone else he knew. When white players like Mcgwire and Canseco were getting all the attention while juicing up, Bonds couldn't take it. He felt he was being treated different, like his whole life growing up he was treated different. If it was good enough for the white guys, then why not for him?

Mcgwire was the smart one. He cut and run to Australia before the scandel hit.

Reply to Msg #3588
Back to Topics

5931 reads

Message #3589 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Steroid Stats? Barry Bonds averaged 31.8 home runs a season from 1986-99, while getting 51.6 between 2000-04, including a record of 73 in '01... To all of Ba-Bo's defenders who say, show me your facts...... Well, here they are..
Date:  5/30/06, 11:48am
You can schew figures any way you want, really. I could make a strong argument that when comparing homerun ratios pre-expansion, and post-expansion, Bonds' HR averages increased.

Diamondbacks
Rockies
Devil Rays
Marlins

These teams were added to the MLB during Bonds' career.

I assert that it is because of more diluted pitching that Bonds was able to get these supersized HR totals.

Well, not really.

But, my point is that pointing to these HR averages doesn't prove much of anything.

Taken another way, I can include last season and his low HR ratio this season and blame it on the death of his father. Since the death of Bobby Bonds, Bonds' HR ratio has gone down considerably. I could argue, therefore, that if Bobby was still alive, Barry would have passed Hank Aaron last year.

Well, not really.

Just making the same point again.

Reply to Msg #3589
Back to Topics

5928 reads

Message #3591 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest16104 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
Guest16104 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  5/30/06, 2:19pm
The writer should have mentioned Bonds age. Nobody in the history of baseball spanning over 100 years has had such a dramatic increase in HR per at bats at such an advanced age. Bonds didn't "wake up" at age 25 or 30 or even 35. He was 37 when his numbers started going through the roof.

Bonds is the flash point for the whole issue. We'll never believe in baseball numbers again, really. Bonds just personifies the issue because he's breaking records, but most players were and are juicing today. It's a sad fact, but that's the way it is.

Reply to Msg #3591
Back to Topics

5925 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter