BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39367
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Ripken, Gwynn Iron-Clad Hits for Hall of Fame Entry " Thread

Message #4250 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
DodgerRefugee  
Subject:  Ripken, Gwynn Iron-Clad Hits for Hall of Fame Entry
Date:  1/09/07, 1:01pm (Last Edited: 1/10/07, 11:01am)
graphic
Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn were no-brainer shoo-ins, but the snubbing of players like Jim Rice and Jack Morris continues.

Even worse, Steve Garvey gets knocked to the Veterans Committiee and the man with the greatest shutout streak of all time - Orel Hershiser - is knocked off the ballot after one vote.

See my hall of fame ballot at: http://www.baseballgeeks.com/cgi-bin/bbs/thread.pl?
2-227

Reply to Msg #4250
Back to Topics

4505 reads

943 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #4251 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  DodgerRefugee
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Ripken, Gwynn Iron-Clad Hits for Hall of Fame Entry
Date:  1/10/07, 11:02am
I agree with you that it is RIDICULOUS that McGwire did not make it. A CNN poll shows that a ton of folks (majority, in fact) disagree with us.

Shame.

Reply to Msg #4251
Back to Topics

5271 reads

Message #4255 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
TerryPuhlParty  
Date:  1/11/07, 4:12pm
My personal opinion only ... I think the steroid cloud over McGwire's head causes people to vote - both positively and negatively - based more on emotion than on on his performance and/or his numbers. Case in point ... how many Hall of Famers have less career hits than McGwire? I count a only smattering of them - Larry Doby, Jackie Robinson, Phil Rizzuto, Ralph Kiner, Ross Youngs and Roy Campanella. Each of those guys had reasons why the didn't get more hits. Rizzuto spent three years serving in WWII in the midst of his career, Campanella and Youngs careers were cut tragically short, Kiner had a bad back and only managed to fit in ten years, and of course segregation affected Doby and Robinson.

McGwire's HR/AB ratio trails only Kiner and Ruth; on that dimension he belongs in the hall. Does his 500+ HR's playing in the 1990's equate to a player from pre-1980 who hit 500+ HR's? I don't think so. He did win a gold glove, but is not generally remembered as a great defensive presence. On the basepaths, he was a liability. I can't speak intelligently about his leadership abilities, but he didn't have the aura or reputation as a great leader. Is he a first-ballot HOF'er ? (I know ... I know ... you either belong or you don't, forget about the "first ballot" point). I think it can be debated, if people can look beyond the emotional issues. I believe he'll get in eventually.

Reply to Msg #4255
Back to Topics

5269 reads

Message #4259 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  TerryPuhlParty
Guest30533 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  1/16/07, 11:25am
Kind of missing the point aren't you? How many hits did McGwire get while on steroids? You cannot compare him to anybody else in the Hall of Fame because they did not use steroids!

Reply to Msg #4259
Back to Topics

5268 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter