BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40486
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Pete Rose has paid his dues " Thread

Message #4344 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  Pete Rose has paid his dues
Date:  3/20/07, 10:32am
Pretty good take on Pete Rose, and why Rose should be in the Hall.

Reply to Msg #4344
Back to Topics

4823 reads

1704 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #4345 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Re: Pete Rose has paid his dues
Date:  3/20/07, 6:48pm
Excellent points by documof. Here's a brief reason I gave in favor of Rose's entry into the Hall in a previous post.......

Say what you want, but Pete Rose definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame. Right off the bat, I can think of 4,256 reasons why. Yes, the guy is a con artist and an egotistical jerk, but if you count off-field behavior as a determining factor into Cooperstown, then Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth don't belong there either. Some say he should be kept out of the Hall strictly because he bet on the game as a manager. I say that being banned from the game for life is punishment enough. Besides, Gaylord Perry, a HALL OF FAMER, takes a lot of pride in telling people that he used vaseline to doctor the ball during his ENTIRE career. The arguments used by critics to keep Rose from the Hall are not as severe as some of the things done by other players who currently have their own plaque in Cooperstown. So, it's time to give Charlie Hustle his own plaque alongside all of the other baseball legends. However, due to gambling on the game, Rose should NEVER be allowed back into baseball as a manager, coach, scout, or any other position.

Reply to Msg #4345
Back to Topics

5580 reads

Message #4346 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
BaseballWhammy  
Date:  3/21/07, 7:33am
Hey thanks for posting my entry, I appreciate the support.

You know, I never thought about the players in the hall that have less then "scout's honor" backgrounds. It would be obvious that he would only be ever admitted into the hall ONLY as a player, and NEVER a manager. As I'm just a young pup (only 24), I don't know much about Pete Rose other than what I read. His books is on my list of things to read.

Based on what you guys have said, I would re-think my recommendation of allowing back into the game, based on some further research on what type of person Pete really is.

Reply to Msg #4346
Back to Topics

5577 reads

Message #4413 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  BaseballWhammy
attacksquad  
Date:  4/2/07, 3:02pm
Do read "My Prison Without Bars". You can pick up a cheap copy on Amazon now that it has been out for a while now (out since 2004). While there are several books about him, I like his the best. Now I am not going to start another endless debate about whether he should be in the Hall or not. There are too many of those blogs already and it is red state/blue state devisive. I just think Pete deserves serious consideration.

Reply to Msg #4413
Back to Topics

5575 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter