BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40204
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Football Leaving Baseball In The Dust " Thread

Message #137 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Boogaman  
Subject:  Football Leaving Baseball In The Dust
Date:  2/11/04, 9:30am
This is an interesting link that provides some perspective on why American's seem to have more of a passion for football than baseball

Reply to Msg #137
Back to Topics

1326 reads

1531 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #138 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Boogaman
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Football Leaving Baseball In The Dus
Date:  2/11/04, 11:21am
I think the article here puts the nail on the head with three reasons: the violence, the attention span, the gambling.We are a world of people who love violence.I think that baseball is very much a thinking man's game... football is primarily hitting, hitting hitting.If violence were the only reason to watch, though, then hockey would be a popular sport (which it really isn't).Which brings us to attention span... there aren't as many teams or games in football. There isn't that much to keep track of. In one week, a baseball team can go from first to last place in one week... a football team stays in the same place in the standings for an entire week.Then, there's the gambling. I don't know what it is... but the violence of football, coupled with the gambling really gets the juices flowing. I have never felt that way about baseball.Still, Baseball remains at the top of my sporting list -- even if my favorite team is in shambles.

Reply to Msg #138
Back to Topics

7054 reads

Message #139 of 6634  *NEW*
Boogaman  
Date:  2/11/04, 7:45pm
The Lost Shambles Dodgers?.....LOL Sorry bout dat. I couldn't help myself. I think the Braves may be moving there too. :D

Reply to Msg #139
Back to Topics

5972 reads

Message #140 of 6634  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  2/12/04, 11:21pm
I think a lot of the comparison between football & baseball has to do with the salary cap situation in both sports & parity. I think one reason why football is more popular than baseball is because of the parity in the NFL & even in college football now. It is hard to tell from year to year who's going to when it all in the NFL in particular. Heck, Carolina almost won the Super Bowl this season! Who would have predicted that? In baseball's defense, who would have thought that the Florida Marlins would win the World Series? I guess my point being that the teams with the money in baseball(ie. the Yankees) always seem to be in the running for a World Series title every season, while the Tigers & Pirates will most likely never be able to compete under major league baseball's financial structure as it is right now. Why should Tiger & Pirate fans even care about watching their respective teams if they know they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of even coming close to major success(division pennant, post season play, or even a 500 record, for example). In the NFL, everyone seems to have a chance at success given that there are salary caps & you can't exactly build an all star team like the Yankees do in baseball year in & year out & dominate a sport like the Yankees do seemingly every year. No NFL team can really afford to do just that because of imposed salary caps in the NFL. I think another reason why football has a popularity edge over baseball is because there is an inticipation build up all week towards one game, or one day of the week. There seems to be a lot more hype & build up. Baseball on the other hand is a day after day grind. There's no real build up because you know there's always tomorrow, another game tomorrow, & the next day, & the next day. To the average fan, who cares about game number 58 out of 162 when you have that many more to go. Maybe there's no real since of urgency at that point in time during the season. Sure, the team still tries to beat the other team, but is it as devistating as losing a division game in the NFL in Week 7 of the NFL season? The answer: NO! A lot less margin for error when you play 16 regular season games as opposed to 162. As for college football, it is very very big in the south because of rivalries & bragging rights among fans of there respective teams & they only meet once a year so the hype is even more amplified. As for me, I like both sports, maybe football a little more. However, fantasy baseball has drawn my attention more to baseball than it has in the past. Fantasy football to me is still the best. I'm starting to get into fantasy baseball more & more though!

Reply to Msg #140
Back to Topics

7049 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter