BaseballGeeks
User: Guest41392
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Jeff Weaver signs a one-year deal with the Angels " Thread

Message #2099 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  Jeff Weaver signs a one-year deal with the Angels
Date:  2/15/06, 5:24pm
The Angels just got amazingly better. They still need an outfielder, in my opinion, but with Weaver, the Angels are no longer the floor mat of the AL West.

Reply to Msg #2099
Back to Topics

8676 reads

1889 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2100 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
redsoxchick  
Subject:  Re: Jeff Weaver signs a one-year deal with the Angels
Date:  2/15/06, 6:46pm
I know he's a good pitcher and it's a great signing for the Angels...but his talent fades in my mind because whenever I see him or read his name, I flashback to his time on the Yankees. Specifically, an ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game versus the Red Sox where the ESPN cameras stayed on him in the dugout as he proceeded to pick his nose and eat it on national television.

I just threw up in my mouth a little as I typed that last line. But as God as my witness, it is the truth.

Good luck in Anaheim, Booger.

Reply to Msg #2100
Back to Topics

10337 reads

Message #2102 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  redsoxchick
Jaydawg  
Date:  2/15/06, 8:35pm
Even if Weaver doctors the ball with his boogers, he's a mediocre pitcher at best. I don't see him doing any better for the Halos than the 4.22 ERA he put up last season, which was in a pitcher's park, no less. But, he was the best one available and the Angels had to sign him. They could've signed someone a lot better if they hadn't been so caught up in the name changing business. They'll still be competitive in the A.L. West as long as Vlad Guerrero stays healthy, but I think the A's have the edge right now with the latest improvements they made in the last few months.

Reply to Msg #2102
Back to Topics

10333 reads

Message #2105 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
squanto  
Date:  2/16/06, 6:45am
graphic
I liked him when he was on the Dodgers. He was sort of regarded as the Ace of the staff, which is scary. He was above average, and now the Dodgers have Tomko to carry on the mediocrity. I did like Weaver's long hair, however. Saw him pitch against Oswalt in Houston last year. Lots of Dodger fans in Houston, btw. I thought I would be the only one wearing a Dodgers cap, but there were lots of others. Anyways, I am glad for Weaver that he will be staying in SoCal. Would seem out of place anywhere else.

Reply to Msg #2105
Back to Topics

10330 reads

Message #2108 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  squanto
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  2/16/06, 8:45am
graphic
Unlike other players it appears as if Jeff Weaver's best days were as a Tiger. He pitched his best out of that dysfunctional clubhouse where he and Matt Anderson were able to smoke down on the team plan...allegedly. I remember watching him take a no-hitter into the ninth against the Indians not too long before he was traded to the Yanks...one of my best memories from Comerica Park. Hey, it's not like I have a lot to choose from. I'm still upset they came back from a 6 run deficit to ruin Clemens potential 300th win I wanted to witness history in person. I have to agree that the A's are the team to beat in the West in 06.

OE

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #2108
Back to Topics

8800 reads

Message #2110 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  squanto
Reedster  
Date:  2/16/06, 8:53am
>I liked him when he was on the Dodgers. He was sort of
>regarded as the Ace of the staff, which is scary. He was above
>average, and now the Dodgers have Tomko to carry on the
>mediocrity. I did like Weaver's long hair, however. Saw him
>pitch against Oswalt in Houston last year. Lots of Dodger fans
>in Houston, btw. I thought I would be the only one wearing a
>Dodgers cap, but there were lots of others. Anyways, I am glad
>for Weaver that he will be staying in SoCal. Would seem out of
>place anywhere else.

Welcome to the board, squanto.

I did some quick research on Weaver from his player card, trying to find information to justify my opinion that Weaver wasn't THAT bad last year. I couldn't find much.

I don't know what it is, but EVERYTIME I saw Weaver pitch last year, he looked great.

I might pass it off as playing on a hurting, depressing team. For some reason, I think that this guy has a career year coming (and it just might be this year).

Still, $8.4 million is WAY too much to pay, considering what he did last year (which surprised me). There were some very bad games thrown, there...

Weaver's Player Card:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playe
rId=4039

Reply to Msg #2110
Back to Topics

10325 reads

Message #2112 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  2/16/06, 9:13am
graphic
I agree that Weaver has all the talent in the world and good stuff. There are games he is lights out. However, he is inconsistent and does not seem able to put a full season together. He might be one of these guys that figures it out later in his career...or he is just a mediocre pitcher.

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #2112
Back to Topics

10321 reads

Message #2115 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  redsoxchick
Guest6843 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  2/16/06, 10:29am
Weaver pitched a grand total of 7 games in the minors before being in the bigs. (Johan Santana pitched 89 minor league games, yet Santana was always a better pitcher. I'll never figure that stuff out.) Weaver was always immature in his actions with the Yankees, and he must have been to do what the Redsoxchick says he did on TV! Maybe pitching just 7 games in the minors made it too easy for him, and without struggling he's never learned to deal with stuff. He's not a terrible pitcher, but you'd think a kid who made it to the majors so fast would be a lot better.

Reply to Msg #2115
Back to Topics

10319 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter