BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40027
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Percival Expects to Stay in Game " Thread

Message #2485 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Percival Expects to Stay in Game
Date:  3/09/06, 12:02pm
graphic
Are there any managers who used to be a closer? I couldn't think of any of the top of my head.

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply to Msg #2485
Back to Topics

2373 reads

645 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2486 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Percival Expects to Stay in Game
Date:  3/9/06, 8:32am
As the link is a registration link, here is the article:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Troy Percival may have thrown his last big league pitch, but the former Angel closer doesn't expect to be away from the game for long.

Percival, who stopped by the Angel camp Monday before completing a five-day drive from Florida to Riverside, has an open invitation to work for the Angels and is eager to begin a post-playing career he hopes will culminate in a manager's job.

ADVERTISEMENT
"I'm going to try to get back in the game in some capacity, preferably at the big league level, next year," said Percival, whose comeback with the Detroit Tigers was cut short Feb. 26 by another elbow injury.

"I definitely want to get into coaching and managing, and the Angels said there will be something available to me when I'm ready. They didn't say whether it would be in the front office, as a roving instructor or a coach, but they've been good to me my whole career."

Percival, who is tied for 10th on baseball's saves list with 324, hasn't announced his retirement. However, after sitting out the second half of 2005 because of a muscle tear in his elbow and abandoning his comeback this spring, he said he is "most likely" done.

"I'll let it rest again, but shoot, I let it rest for seven months, and when I threw my first bullpen [this spring] it was right back to where it was before," Percival said. "I know I can't throw anymore."

Percival, who was on the mound for all three of the Angels' playoff-clinching victories during their 2002 World Series run, has no regrets.

Though his arm was "killing" him Feb. 26, he was able to complete an inning at Lakeland, Fla.

"I ended up getting the save in an intrasquad game," said Percival, who signed a two-year, $12-million deal with the Tigers before 2005. "It wasn't pretty, but I left on the mound, on my terms."

He said the finality of his career set in during his cross-country ride home.

"But I was never one of those guys who only had baseball," Percival said. "I'll be OK. I'll go home, work on my cars, play with my son and daughter and just be a normal dad."

Regarding whether a closer has been a manager... I can't think of any off the top of my head, either.

Reply to Msg #2486
Back to Topics

3145 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter