BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40002
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Former commissioner Fay Vincent calls on Selig to hire an investigator to look into Bonds situation " Thread

Message #2506 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  Former commissioner Fay Vincent calls on Selig to hire an investigator to look into Bonds situation
Date:  3/10/06, 12:22pm
Vincent hired an independent investigator to look into the Pete Rose situation.

Reply to Msg #2506
Back to Topics

6272 reads

812 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2509 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
Guest8325 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Subject:  Re: Former commissioner Fay Vincent calls on Selig to hire an investigator to look into Bonds situation
Date:  3/10/06, 9:23pm
I'm not a Bonds supporter at all, but Rose broke a MLB rule - no gambling. That's what the independent counsel provided proof of.

Bonds took a ton of substances that MLB had no rule against. We all know two things concerning Bonds. 1) He took the stuff. 2) There was no MLB rule in place at the time saying the stuff was illegal. What's the independent counsel going to tell us? That Fay Vincent and Bud Selig were lousy commissioners because they did not pass a rule banning these substances? That MLB was negligent for years concerning these substances?

Dowd supplied the smoking gun against Rose, but there is no smoking gun against Bonds. We all know he cheated, but MLB didn't have a rule against what he was doing.

The best thing that can happen is Bonds just quietly retires. Not likely to happen. Next best thing, every time he steps up to the plate he gets booed out of the stadium. Probably won't happen at home, but might on the road.

Reply to Msg #2509
Back to Topics

8195 reads

Message #2514 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest8325 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
redsoxchick  
Subject:  Re: Former commissioner Fay Vincent calls on Selig to hire an investigator to look into Bonds situation
Date:  3/11/06, 8:00am
Unless prescribed by a physician for a specific ailment, steroid use is illegal, right? I would imagine anything that is 'illegal' in the 'real world' would be illegal in baseball too, no?

And according to this document (from 1991): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/format/memos
20051109?memo=1991&num=1

that is exactly the case. Bonds not only broke an MLB rule, but he broke the law.

>I'm not a Bonds supporter at all, but Rose broke a MLB rule -
>no gambling. That's what the independent counsel provided
>proof of.
>
>Bonds took a ton of substances that MLB had no rule against.
>We all know two things concerning Bonds. 1) He took the
>stuff. 2) There was no MLB rule in place at the time saying
>the stuff was illegal. What's the independent counsel going
>to tell us? That Fay Vincent and Bud Selig were lousy
>commissioners because they did not pass a rule banning these
>substances? That MLB was negligent for years concerning these
>substances?
>
>Dowd supplied the smoking gun against Rose, but there is no
>smoking gun against Bonds. We all know he cheated, but MLB
>didn't have a rule against what he was doing.
>
>The best thing that can happen is Bonds just quietly retires.
>Not likely to happen. Next best thing, every time he steps up
>to the plate he gets booed out of the stadium. Probably won't
>happen at home, but might on the road.
>
>
>
>

Reply to Msg #2514
Back to Topics

8193 reads

Message #2515 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest8325 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
drrubb  
Date:  3/11/06, 8:16am
Major League Baseball needs to be more cut & dry & very specific about what is considered legal & illegal. You have a number of drugs/performance enhancers/supplements out there that need to strongly considered & then ruled on by a committee.

Obviously we have steroids out there. But, what about other growth hormones in general? Moreover, what about things like Creatine, Andro? What about anphetamines? Ephedra? I would bet that there are more baseball players who take Ephedra than any other drug out there. It certainly gives you that "pick me up" or "kick in the ass". Ephedra is really just like a form of legalized speed, although it does serve other purposes.

Baseball HAS TO MAKE CLEAR what is legal & what is illegal!

Reply to Msg #2515
Back to Topics

8191 reads

Message #2519 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
redsoxchick  
Date:  3/11/06, 10:18am
I'm pretty certain that if MLB doesn't have a list of banned substances (which I thought they did), they have a list of APPROVED "supplements". When Mark McGwire was using Andro it wasn't on the banned list and now it is.

What the PLAYERS should be doing is NOT putting anything in their body that the team's trainers don't give them. That way, there's no question about what they're taking - and if there is, you can pinpoint the person to 'blame' easily.

>Major League Baseball needs to be more cut & dry & very
>specific about what is considered legal & illegal. You have a
>number of drugs/performance enhancers/supplements out there
>that need to strongly considered & then ruled on by a
>committee.
>
>Obviously we have steroids out there. But, what about other
>growth hormones in general? Moreover, what about things like
>Creatine, Andro? What about anphetamines? Ephedra? I would bet
>that there are more baseball players who take Ephedra than any
>other drug out there. It certainly gives you that "pick me up"
>or "kick in the ass". Ephedra is really just like a form of
>legalized speed, although it does serve other purposes.
>
>Baseball HAS TO MAKE CLEAR what is legal & what is illegal!

Reply to Msg #2519
Back to Topics

8188 reads

Message #2528 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  redsoxchick
Guest8392 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  3/11/06, 9:08am
If the 1991 document (thanks RedSoxChick for posting the site) was valid from 1998 on, then Bonds can be suspended, and should be. My guess is that the document was never part of the CBA with the players and would therefore be deemed invalid in court. But if it is valid then Selig has no choice but to appoint an independant counsel and suspend Bonds. Going to be very interesting to see what happens. (I think you're right about the drug use also, RSChick, Selig could invoke best interest of baseball clause saying Bonds broke the law using illegal drugs and suspend him anyway.)

Reply to Msg #2528
Back to Topics

8188 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter