BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39996
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Red Sox trade Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena " Thread

Message #2649 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
redsoxchick  
Subject:  Red Sox trade Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena
Date:  3/20/06, 11:28am
As a Red Sox AND Bronson fan...this trade sickens me.

I realize that it's probably going to work out very well for the Red Sox, but for once I was hoping a front office could show a little loyalty. Bronson took a lesser deal, put his faith in the front office, and Theo stuck it to him.

I used to defend just about all the moves the Red Sox front office made...not any more. Any 'trust' I had in Theo just walked out the door with Bronson.

Reply to Msg #2649
Back to Topics

5859 reads

1678 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2650 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  redsoxchick
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Red Sox trade Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena
Date:  3/20/06, 11:31am
Ah, man, Cyn. I bet this makes you feel much like I did in 1998, when the Dodgers dumped Piazza.

My condolences.

Reply to Msg #2650
Back to Topics

6445 reads

Message #2652 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
redsoxchick  
Date:  3/20/06, 12:09pm
What kills me is I don't even think this is that terrible a trade. I don't love WMP's strikeouts, but I'm all for giving a young guy with his kind of power a chance.

If not for the discount Bronson took, I'd be sad to see him go but not upset with the FO for making the deal. Regardless of what Theo is saying about there never being a 'gentleman's agreement', Bronson went against his agent's advice and took a deal because he wanted to stay - and this is the payback for that.

I hope WMP does well in Fenway, and I sense he will. I only hope he can stand the heat when the Fenway Faithful start getting on him for all those strikeouts.

And I know I'm a geek (heh) but it really upsets me that Theo could do this so easily and defend it the way he has without a thought for what Bronson gave up to supposedly stay with the team.

Reply to Msg #2652
Back to Topics

6444 reads

Message #2662 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  redsoxchick
drrubb  
Date:  3/20/06, 8:40pm
I understand your frustration redsoxchick! Theo does need to show more loyalty. Maybe Arroyo got a raw deal. However, look out for Wily Mo Pena! I know he strikes out, but the guy can flat out rake! If he would of stayed in Cincinnati this upcoming season, he would have had a MONSTER YEAR! In Cincinnati, this guy was good for atleast 40 home runs this season. I truly believe that! His average, probably 270,280, maybe 290. RBIs, around 100. This guy just has not been given a full season's chance yet & I predict he is ready to BUST OUT in a very big way! Mark my word! Even in Boston, he will have a very big year if he gets to play full time &, of course, stays healthy. No disrespect to Arroyo, who is a solid pitcher, but I think Boston got the better end of the deal here. I think Cincinnati has made a very huge mistake trading Wily Mo Pena, although they might have needed another quality pitcher like Arroyo. Pena will become a household name this season in the major leagues. He is one of the most underated players in baseball.

Reply to Msg #2662
Back to Topics

6444 reads

Message #2690 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  3/22/06, 11:11am
graphic
I'm not sure it is obvious that Boston got the best of this trade. Only time will tell. WMP has power, but the strikeouts are bothersome. Also the predictions regarding his batting average are extremely optimistic. His highest batting average was .259 in 336 ABs and is a lifetime .248 hitter in the majors. The upside is there as Pena is only 24 and could improve or he could be like another Pena, Carlos in Detroit. Carlos also has all kinds of power, strikes out tons and can't hit for average. Hopefully for the Red Sox Wily Mo does not turn out to be a Carlos. Also there seems to be a log jam in the Sox outfield now with Manny, Coco, Nixon and Pena. This is similar to the situation Pena had with the Reds although I'm sure he will get more ABs. Also I value pitching more than hitting and the Reds definitely needed the pitching. Especially when their outfield already consists of Griffey, Dunn, Kearns and Freel. Arroyo is an average pitcher, not spectacular, but solid and becomes one of the best pitchers on the Reds. Time will tell. You could be right about WMP...he definitely has more upside then Bronson.

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply to Msg #2690
Back to Topics

6444 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter