BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40962
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Opening Day Surprises & Disappointments " Thread

Message #286 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  Opening Day Surprises & Disappointments
Date:  4/6/04, 2:05am
Surprises:Barry Bonds: Not a surprise to me. I'm just throwing this out because of all the steroid spouters. One away from Mays...Corey Patterson: Wow. First pitch he sees of the year, first homerun he gets of the year.Kip Wells: Beautiful first outing... and he makes the Phillies' offense look like the Pirates'.Pat Burrell: Round of applause for his first game off an extremely bad year... 3 for 4.Tony Womack: Whoa, Nelly. Presents himself on his new team, after a horrific year, swiping three bases.Disappointments:Kerry Wood: Sure, he got the win... and he showed flashes of brilliance. But, he can't be happy giving up 4 earned in 5 innings.Hideo Nomo: Yee-ikes. 7 earned in 5 innings... and ONE strikeout from a strikeout pitcher? The Padres are for real, no doubt... but, this is the Dodger ace. Bad spring, and bad start for a bad team.Damaso Marte: I have Billy Koch on my fantasy team, and I pretty much consider him dead weight. Worse, he was replaced by Marte, losing the possible save... and Marte exploded, giving up three earned without getting an out.Roy Halladay: 9 strikeouts in 6 2/3 sounds like a wonderful outing... if you don;t count a near 2.00 WHIP and 7 runs allowed (6 earned)... against the Tigers.

Reply to Msg #286
Back to Topics

9121 reads

916 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #287 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Opening Day Surprises & Disappointment
Date:  4/7/04, 1:16am
Corey Patterson, along with Dmitri Young are in my opinion 2 of the most underated hitters in baseball! Corey will have a very productive season as will Dmitri when he comes back from his broken leg. What a blow to the Tigers! He is their best hitter in my opinion! As for Corey, I wish I had him on my fantasy team this season!

Reply to Msg #287
Back to Topics

10873 reads

Message #288 of 6634  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  4/7/04, 1:17am
Pat Burrell & Jermaine Dye will be the comeback players of the year in their respective leagues!

Reply to Msg #288
Back to Topics

10870 reads

Message #289 of 6634  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  4/7/04, 1:19am
Halladay & a lot of the big name pitchers thus far are getting hit & roughed up pretty hard in the very early going!

Reply to Msg #289
Back to Topics

10869 reads

Message #290 of 6634  *NEW*
Jaydawg  
Date:  4/7/04, 10:57pm
Halladay was pretty roughed up all through April of last year, but won the Cy Young nonetheless. He's on my fantasy team now, so Roy's my man. Corey Patterson may be a little overrated in my opinion. He's an expert on hitting home runs to start out seasons, doing it yesterday for the third year in a row. Reggie Jackson may be Mr. October, but Patterson undoubtedly deserves the title of Mr. Opening Day. Corey Patterson looks like Jose Canseco in his prime during the first week, but as the season rolls along, he plays more like Jose Offerman.

Reply to Msg #290
Back to Topics

10867 reads

Message #291 of 6634  *NEW*
Reedster  
Date:  4/8/04, 11:58am
Hey Jay:I don't think Halladay had more than one or two bad games last year. Wishful thinking, on your part (you wouldn't have said that if he wasn't on your fantasy team). Here are Halladay's first three starts from last year:March 31, 2003: 5 2/3, 3ERs (vs Yanks)http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230331114April 5, 2003: 7 IP, 2 ERhttp://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230331114April 11, 2003: 7 IP, 3 ER (10 Ks)http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230410114"Not that bad for a young man," as we say.Patterson isn't overrrated, in my opinion (and I bet if he was on your fantasy team, you'd be raving about him). He hasn't had a chance to prove himself. The guy was MVP caliber until his season-ending injury early last season.

Reply to Msg #291
Back to Topics

10866 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter