BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40741
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "To boo Johnny Damon, or not to boo Johnny Damon: that, is the question " Thread

Message #3321 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  To boo Johnny Damon, or not to boo Johnny Damon: that, is the question
Date:  5/01/06, 10:12am
If I am a Red Sox Chick, I am booing his sorry butt. He could have come back to the Sox for less money. He could have gone to any other team for close to the same money, perhaps.

More importantly, he could have never stated as a Red Sox that he would never play for the Yanks.

But, he didn't.

So, I say: he gets boo'ed.

It is one thing if he signs with the Padres. The Dodgers. The Pirates. The Angels. The Rangers. The Blue Jays. But, the Yanks?

Would our country have had a ticker tape parade for General MacArthur following WWII, if he decided to switch sides during WWII and join the Japanese?

Reply to Msg #3321
Back to Topics

9987 reads

1318 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #3329 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
Conor  
Subject:  Re: To boo Johnny Damon, or not to boo Johnny Damon: that, is the question
Date:  5/1/06, 2:27pm
Here's some things to consider:

No other team ever made Damon an offer besides the Yankees and Red Sox.

Damon said he would take a "home town discount" if it was put on the table prior to 2005. It wasn't. So he said, at the start of 2005, that he would not take a home town discount and fans knew this going into the season and going into free agency. It is a very strict policy on the part of the new ownership and Theo that they do not negotiate during the season (as it is with Cashman and the Yankees for the most part, which is why Sheffield wasn't happy at the beginning of this season).

The Red Sox "negotiated" with Damon without Theo. Their tactics didn't seem as, well, good as Theo's would have been. A big reason they brought him back in my opinion. Instead of offering him the most they were willing to pay him up front they "insulted" Damon with a very low ball offer, an offer everyone knew cold and would be outdone by just about any other team, especially the Yankees. It is widely thought that if they had given their "final offer" first he would have accepted it, which is the way Theo usually works.

Damon isn't worth the contract he agreed to on the field. At least, he probably won't be. Not that it matters really. But the fact is, the Red Sox, as "rich" as they are, aren't the Yankees. They aren't willing to throw around millions upon millions of dollars for a player they don't feel is worth those extra few million. And last time I checked, a few millions dollars is a lot of money, no matter who you are. Damon is by no means a "victim" but he was on the end of some bad negotiating. Damon as marketed himself very well over the past few years. He, along with Papi, Manny, Pedro, V-Tek, and others have helped put fans in the seats, helped sell millions upon millions of dollars worth of merchandise, and has been a face of the franchise for about 3-4 years.

And the biggest argument you'll hear is this: without Damon in 2004 the streak continues and this year would be 88 years. I don't know for certain, but as a Red Sox fan who was lucky enough to witness A-Rod's home run ball being tossed back over the monster , just to have Damon throw it right back over (and have it tossed back again after that), dave Robert's stolen base in the 9th inning, and Papi's home run to win it and turn the series around during Game 4 of the ALCS in 2004, I'd be a completely different fan right now.

I'm not saying cheer him, but he's no Roger Clemens. Don't boo him.

Reply to Msg #3329
Back to Topics

10550 reads

Message #3331 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Conor
redsoxchick  
Subject:  Re: To boo Johnny Damon, or not to boo Johnny Damon: that, is the question
Date:  5/1/06, 3:53pm
I'm interested, Conor, in where you get your info.

Johnny claimed from the get-go that there was another team in the mix.

And I know from almost the horse's mouth that Johnny said he WOULDN'T take a hometown discount...repeatedly throughout last season to anyone who would listen.

The Red Sox really didn't get to 'negotiate'. They made that offer (a damn good offer) and Johnny didn't even refuse it, he just jumped over to the Yankees.

We agree about Johnny not being worth the contract G$ gave him. Which is just more proof of two things for me, the contract the Red Sox offered was a very good one...and Johnny ended up signing a contract exactly where he wanted.

"without Damon in 2004 the streak continues and this year would be 88 years. "

You could say that about any one of the guys on the 2004 team. That's a weak argument. Johnny got all the cheers he deserved last year. Why, exactly, do we have to cheer him now that he's in pinstripes?

"I don't know for certain, but as a Red Sox fan who was lucky enough to witness A-Rod's home run ball being tossed back over the monster , just to have Damon throw it right back over (and have it tossed back again after that), dave Robert's stolen base in the 9th inning, and Papi's home run to win it and turn the series around during Game 4 of the ALCS in 2004, I'd be a completely different fan right now. "

Just out of curiosity...how long have you been a fan? I've been a fan since the early/mid 70s. No player is bigger than the team...not even Johnny Damon.

And how soon people forget how poorly Johnny played in the 2004 ALCS. And that, without his 6 rbi in game 7, the Sox still win.

Not saying what he did in game 7 wasn't HUGE...it sure was...but he didn't win it alone. Not by a longshot.

Reply to Msg #3331
Back to Topics

10546 reads

Message #3333 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  redsoxchick
Conor  
Date:  5/1/06, 4:17pm
I've been a fan since the mid 80's (born in '82), to answer your question. You're right...no player is above the team. No matter what. And don't give me the whole "I've been a fan longer so I'm a better fan and a smarter fan" angle.

I wouldn't cheer him. i wouldn't tell anyone to cheer him, specifically because I would never tell anyone to cheer anyone in a Yankees uniform. And yes, if he signed with anyone else this wouldn't even be a discussion.

What 3rd team was in the mix?

Yes, the Red Sox did make him a good offer (40 million), but it was after a few other not so great offers. I believe he may have accepted it if it was the first offer they put on the table.

Listen, as far as I'm concerned, every member of the 2004 team has a lifetime pass. They did what no team was able to do in Boston since 1918. It meant more to Boston fans than any championship of any team that I can think of off the top of my head.

Of course he wasn't the only member of the team that carried them through the playoffs. Yes, he didn't do all that great in games 1-6 of the ALCS. He batted .467/.500/.533 in the ALDS and slugged over .600 in the WS. Still not saying he's the only reason why they won, but he's a big reason they even had a chance (his .316 AVG as the lead off man had a lot to do with the fact they even made the playoffs)

The only reason this is even a big deal is because he's actually a good player. Did people argue whether they should boo Embree? I don't think they did. I know I didn't.

If I were there I wouldn't cheer him, that's for sure. I'd stand silent, appreciative for what he's done but disappointed in his actions over the off-season.

Reply to Msg #3333
Back to Topics

10544 reads

Message #3334 of 6634  *NEW*
Conor  
Date:  5/1/06, 5:07pm
Ok, I have something else, that may contradict what I've been saying.

Damon seems surprised that fans here (in Boston) would/could forget everything he did while he was here just because he went to the Yankees. It's just another reason why players just don't get it the way fans do.

I stand by my stance that I wouldn't boo him, but I'm not saying I like the guy too much either.

I also take solace in knowing that NO fan in NY will ever adore Damon the way ALL the fans in Boston adored him while he was there.

Reply to Msg #3334
Back to Topics

10543 reads

Message #3335 of 6634  *NEW*
redsoxchick  
Date:  5/1/06, 5:34pm
It is a myth that fans "forgot" what Johnny did for the team.

No one has forgotten anything.

Except for Johnny. Johnny forgot that he said it wouldn't be about money and he wouldn't go to New York.

Reply to Msg #3335
Back to Topics

10542 reads

Message #3336 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
drrubb  
Date:  5/1/06, 8:08pm
BOO HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has committed treason!

Reply to Msg #3336
Back to Topics

10538 reads

Message #3337 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Date:  5/1/06, 9:23pm (Last Edited: 5/2/06, 9:44pm)
Here's an actual quote by Johnny Damon in May of 2005-----

"There's no way I can play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard. It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."
$52 million later......... and the rest they say is history

This is an obvious example of Damon's hypocricy and a reason why Red Sox fans should not show their appreciation for him at Fenway. In retrospect, it was all about good P.R. As a popular member of the Bo-Sox team, it wasn't in his best interest to say anything favorable about the Bronx Bombers. If Damon did, then he would've signed with the Royals, D-Rays, or even the Dodgers at a fraction of the price. Johnny knew how to play the P.R. game well and probably had some mentoring from Scott Boras on this.

Reply to Msg #3337
Back to Topics

10538 reads

Message #3352 of 6634  *NEW*
attacksquad  
Date:  5/2/06, 5:14pm
Way to be Connor. Staying silent is the classy way to go. Way to stand up to old Red Sox Chic too.Good stuff. I am sure I would be mad at Damon too if hell was frozen and I was a Red Sox fan. He dcommitted hypocrisy,cut his hair and found a razor to shave with. Jay's quote was on the money(stat boy auditon?). However, when you boo someone, it is giving them attention which they can feed off of. When I truly don't care about a player, as in they are irrelevant to me in every way, I get up and pee during his at bat and pay him no mind. You can't boo one of the main pieces of your curse breaking team though. If anything, yell out "about time time you cut your damn hair" or "about you shaved Captain Caveman".

Reply to Msg #3352
Back to Topics

10537 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

attacksquad's Blog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter