BaseballGeeks
User: Guest2455
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Joe Torre gets his 1,000th win as the Yankees manager " Thread

Message #3396 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Joe Torre gets his 1,000th win as the Yankees manager
Date:  5/07/06, 5:26pm
Joe Torre is a good manager, but having the best players money can buy certainly helps. Before the Yankees, Torre was a sub-.500 manager for the Mets, Braves, and Cards. Maybe he's matured over the years, but I wonder how he would fare today as a manager of the Royals.

Reply to Msg #3396
Back to Topics

4888 reads

963 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #3398 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Joe Torre gets his 1,000th win as the Yankees manager
Date:  5/7/06, 8:58pm
No disrespect to Joe Torre, but he is an average manager. Anybody managing the Yankees could put together a winning managerial record with their wealth of talent & riches. A lot of it does have to do with payroll & the players you have. Some people may have deemed Lou Pinella as a great manager, but what did he ever do with the Devil Rays? Lou Pinella never had much to work with given Tampa Bay's low budget & minimal spending power. I have a feeling Torre would have had the same exact fate in Tampa or Kansas City like you mentioned.

Reply to Msg #3398
Back to Topics

5684 reads

Message #3400 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
Guest14925 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  5/7/06, 9:12pm
Being a Yankee fan and watching Torre manage the Yankees over the years, I can say for certain that Torre is not a great game manager. He makes lots of mistakes, especially with his bullpen. He's reluctant to develop anybody out of the pen, so he relies on Rivera too much, and it has cost the Yankees a championship or two.

Where Torre is great is with all the personalities he has to deal with. He's excellent at smoothing over trouble spots and players. He's dealt with, and is dealing with, lots of big egos with the Yankees, and always keeps the focus on winning. A lesser handler of people would have lost the Yankees clubhouse numerous times over Torre's tenure.

Reply to Msg #3400
Back to Topics

5683 reads

Message #3403 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest14925 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
drrubb  
Date:  5/8/06, 9:38am
Very good points. I for one hate the Yankees, so maybe my opinion was biased.

Reply to Msg #3403
Back to Topics

5681 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter