BaseballGeeks
User: Guest41034
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Who do you think will win the Comeback Player of The Year Award in the A.L. & N.L.? " Thread

Message #3965 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Who do you think will win the Comeback Player of The Year Award in the A.L. & N.L.?
Date:  8/07/06, 9:03pm
For a while, the N.L. comeback player appeared to be Nomar Garciaparra, but he's been hampered by injuries once again. I'd give the award to Carlos Beltran, who's been consistently in the Mets lineup all season long and has proven that his rookie year was no fluke. He's now playing up to his potential again. As for the A.L., Curt Schilling deserves the nod, who's almost back to his old Cy Young form and has shown his critics that he's not a has-been yet.

Reply to Msg #3965
Back to Topics

3513 reads

1563 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The DawgHouse

Message #3966 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
RedSux  
Subject:  Re: Who do you think will win the Comeback Player of The Year Award in the A.L. & N.L.?
Date:  8/7/06, 9:12pm
graphic
Nomar and Thome will do fine. There are some "bad" candidates, but almost everyone nominated this year seems pretty decent.

As a Yankee fan I can say that I was entirely disappointed to see Giambi win this award.

Reply to Msg #3966
Back to Topics

7884 reads

Message #3969 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Reedster  
Subject:  Re: Who do you think will win the Comeback Player of The Year Award in the A.L. & N.L.?
Date:  8/8/06, 5:13pm
If I had to pick right now, I like both of your selections, Jaydawg.

Garciaparra was, indeed, the frontrunner in my eyes until he got injured AGAIN. How can we call a guy a comeback player when he only played half a season?

Might be a very good season... but if you are known for getting injured and you are out for half a season, how can you win this award?

Reply to Msg #3969
Back to Topics

8956 reads

Message #3973 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  RedSux
drrubb  
Date:  8/9/06, 5:11am
RedSux,

It is the Yankees who have ruined baseball for teams like the Devil Rays, Brewers, Padres, Royals, Twins, Marlins, all of the small market teams. The Yankees always RAPE these guys of their good players so the "little guy" can never stay competitive. Baseball's salary structure has ruined the game because it is catered to the big city/big market teams like the damn Yankees. Do you ever see the Royals or Devil Rays or Padres on FOX Saturday Baseball or ESPN's Sunday Night game of the week? If FOX & ESPN would start promoting the smaller market teams a little more instead og having the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers, & Cardinals on all the damn time, maybe the little guys can start generating more interest. It is the main stream media's fault. They will never give the "little guy" a chance because of their lust with the Yankees & the big market teams. This is what has ruined baseball! Not the D-Rays.

Reply to Msg #3973
Back to Topics

8955 reads

Message #3974 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
RedSux  
Date:  8/9/06, 9:57am (Last Edited: 8/9/06, 4:43pm)
graphic
Thanks for jumping waay off topic.

Small teams can compete. In the last 10 years we've seen the Diamondbacks win a World Series and the Marlins (who's fanbase is apathetic and non-existent at times) win it TWICE.

Teams that aren't competitive aren't like that because of the Yankees. Its not like we're hoarding all of the talent in baseball.

Frankly, if you ask me, what's ruined baseball is overexpansion. There isn't as much talent to go around anymore. Its hard to fill out a roster with top-notch talent, no matter WHAT team you are. And yeah, the Yankees tend to over-pay to manage that, just like the Red Sox, Mets and other teams -- BUT THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO.

The Yankees didn't price anyone out of baseball -- over-expansion of teams like Tampa Bay, however did.

If you want to continue this discussion somehow outside of where we're supposed to be discussing THE COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR award, then I'd be happy to go back and forth with you, and ultimately not accomplish anything due to your irrational hatred of a baseball team.

Reply to Msg #3974
Back to Topics

8953 reads

Message #3977 of 6634  *NEW*
Jaydawg  
Date:  8/9/06, 7:39pm (Last Edited: 8/9/06, 7:45pm)
It's true that small market teams pull out upset wins occasionally, but these same teams don't have a chance to compete as much as they used to-- can you say Kansas City Royals? The way I see it, the continuation of stratospheric salaries have been bad for baseball, mostly from the fans perspective (i.e. increased ticket prices, parking, and memorabilia). This is mainly why I feel that a salary cap is a necessity. If the NFL and NBA can do it, so can Major League Baseball. Besides, for the past five years the Yankees have bought some of the best players money can buy and have even paid others a lot more than they're worth (i.e. Johnny Damon). As a result, they have had the very best team out there in recent years with ONLY one ring to show for it. Are the Yankee fans getting their moneys worth? You make the call.. I think there should be an even playing field out there where fans in Kansas City have an opportunity to see a team with some decent talent, as the New York fans enjoy. I went into this topic in a little more detail under the topic about the Yankee team salaries, which is listed in the "B-Geeks Standings" section on the top of the main page.

As for your comments on expansion teams, I actually agree that baseball has gone a little overboard on this one. Twenty-five teams are sufficient enough for baseball, as there isn't a whole lot of talent going around these days. If a team is struggling to get a fan base, they should move to a different city where they can, as the Marlins are trying to do.

Reply to Msg #3977
Back to Topics

8952 reads

Message #3983 of 6634  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  8/9/06, 11:52pm
Fair enough RedSux. Thanks for your reply nevertheless. Needless to say, your avatar just rubbed me the wrong way. We are all entitled to our own opinions which is what makes the debate entertaining.

Comeback players of the year: NL- Carlos Beltran, AL- Jim Thome

I still think it is somewhat too early to make that determination though. But those would be who I would vote for right now.

Reply to Msg #3983
Back to Topics

8948 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter