BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40393
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Fallout from McGwire's testimony hitting fever pitch; what do you think of McGwire after the testimony? " Thread

Message #876 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  Fallout from McGwire's testimony hitting fever pitch; what do you think of McGwire after the testimony?
Date:  3/19/05, 1:02pm
I'm submitting this with a "hall of fame" designation because I think he is still a hall of famer.Call me in the minority.Steroids should be out of baseball. BUT, I am not a believer that steroids made mere mortal men superstars.We learned last week that Jeremy Giambi took steroids. We have heard of countless others who, plain and simply, did not put up numbers that were anywhere near McGwire's or Bonds'.Take steroids out of the game, but not the legend of a great ballplayer. McGwire should be first ballot hall of famer... his 70 HR season should never, ever be discounted.It brought a dying game back to life.

Reply to Msg #876
Back to Topics

2538 reads

1534 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #878 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
Jimellow  
Subject:  Re: Fallout from McGwire's testimony hitting fever pitch; what do you think of McGwire after the testimony?
Date:  3/19/05, 2:59pm
I actually think steroids are going to be commonplace in the future.. And not regulated harshly, if at all.

I am not necessarily saying this is a good thing, but if you look throughout history to now, it seems the focus has dramatically changed to that of physical fitness and conditioning.

Today's players have access to professional trainers, top of the line weight rooms, and nutritionists, and supplements that allow them to build muscle faster.

I think there will be a point where the athletes hit a "wall" and can't improve anymore on their own without the inclusion of steroids.. And given this country's drive to always be improving and getting better, I just think steroids will be accepted and openly used many years down the road.

I've made the comparison before that today's "legit" players are still cheating today, by using nutritionists and supplements that players in the 50's didn't have access to. In a sense, this newfound fitness and conditioning factor has given today's athletes an advantage over those who have played in the past.. The key difference being the health issue that steroids present.

I think I, personally, am neutral on the whole steroid thing.. I think the worst aspect of steroids is that younger players (minors and below) are going to start juicing just to make the pros, and that is definitely something that should be stopped..

However, when a player is already in the pros, has an established job, and wants to risk building himself up at the cost of his health; I am not sure I entirely agree with him not being allowed to do so.

There are players that opt to eat unhealthily and not work out as hard as others, so why should it be illegal for players to work out extra hard and take supplements, that while health risks may be at stake, they are ultimately looking to better themselves as athletes, and players?

Personally, I feel they need to impose strict rules on high school, college, and minor league players so that they do not use steroids. Rules so strict that if caught, their baseball careers could potentially be over.. But after a player is in the pros, and has a steady job, I think they will be using supplements in the future. Humans seem to be very motivated to improve themselves and when they run out of ways to do it naturally, they will likely turn to other means; and given the fans' love of homeruns and records, I think the practice of steroids will be welcomed. Not by current fans (who are "old skool"), but instead by younger fans that grew up with mixed opinions on the whole steroid issue (currently).

Reply to Msg #878
Back to Topics

3256 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter