BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40062
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Fantasy Baseball : Reading "The PlayerTrack.com Report for 5/15/07 " Thread

Message #291 of 405  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  The PlayerTrack.com Report for 5/15/07
Date:  5/16/07, 1:04pm (Last Edited: 5/16/07, 2:38pm)
Well, we are approximately a quarter through the season, and using PlayerTrack.com, I will be providing our faithful listeners/readers with some "under the radar" and "sell high-buy low" picks in hitting and pitching each time I do a PlayerTrack update.

Under the Radar

Torii Hunter: sure, he is no sleeper, but would you be surprised to learn that he currently ranks #2 of ALL players in 5x5, just behind Arod as of 5/15?

Edgar Renteria: continues his excellent fantasy play with a 2 HR game yesterday

B.J. Upton: drops 4 spots from the end of April, but he still looks fantastic, and his value may not be appreciated yet

Adam Dunn: 6 SBs? And a .271 average?

Eric Byrnes: A Gregg Keer favorite, and he is proving why so far this year, rising in the rankings 16 spots since the end of April

Mike Lowell: Surprisingly looking like the guy everybody wanted when he was in Florida a few years ago...

Ted Lilly: rises in the rankings 2 spots as the third best 5x5 pitcher in all of baseball so far

Jason Marquis: what the heck are they feeding the Cubs' pitchers?

Shawn Hill: rises 4 spots in the rankings since the end of April, and sits in the top 20, but unfortunately, he has some injury woes and will likely miss quite a lot of time in the near future

Mark Hendrickson: Top 20 so far... saw him pitch against the Brewers a few weeks ago, and I have to tell you he looked very good out there...

Claudio Vargas: the WHIP is of concern, but he is looking very solid as a top 35 pitcher thus far

Heath Bell: one of those middle relief guys who is proving his mettle so far in San Diego, although he has allowed 3 ERs in his last two appearances

Gary Matthews, Jr.: his numbers are improving as is his status in fantasy this year... a lot of people thought last year was an aberration (and largely due to playing in a band box). Maybe. But, not yet.

Sell High

Tim Hudson: still near the top of the heap (but dropped down to #2 since the end of April, behind Peavy), but I just can't convince myself that this guy is for real

Ted Lilly/Jason Marquis: how can these guys keep it up when notwitshatdning their great pitching, the Cubs are still sitting sub .500

Tom Gorzellany/Braden Looper: just haven't bought these guys (both currently in the top 10)

Mark Hendrickson: can't imagine you would get much for him unless it was an NL only league (and, in this case, I might hold onto him)

Buy Low

Dontrelle Willis

Scott Olsen

Carlos Zambrano: may be too late here because of his game yesterday

Ryan Howard: Prime time right now. I just traded John Lackey and Jermaine Dye for Ryan Howard, Alex Rios, and Justin Duchscherer. I think this is a STEAL (I didn't like giving up Lackey, but I couldn't resist taking advantage of an impatient manager)

Adam Eaton: he is better than his 6.42 ERA... so this means decent pitching the rest of the way

Kip Wells: riskier pick, but the Cards have to start playing better eventually... and his 1-7 record is bound to improve... I see improvement here all the way around, and if I could give up little for the gamble and I was desperate for starting pitching, I might look here

Delmon Young: his fantasy manager in your league may be impatient with him... don't sell too much, though, but I believe his .241 BA is bound to improve

Robinson Cano: look, I didn't expect him to hit .342 this season, but he DID hit there last year, and he is now hitting around .237 -- find that impatient manager

---

You can draw your own conclusions by joining PlayerTrack.com for the remainder of the season for $7.99. If you are a current subscriber, the updates for the season are included in your membership.

Reply to Msg #291
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

7277 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

Diary of A Baseball Geek

Message #292 of 405  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
john.reiss  
Subject:  Re: The PlayerTrack.com Report for 5/15/07
Date:  5/16/07, 8:05pm
Two things surprise me about this list: 1.) That Tim Hudson is still a sell-high and 2.) That Dan Johnson isn't on the list. Other than that, very nice and I look forward to more.

Reply to Msg #292
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8379 reads

Message #293 of 405  *NEW*
To:  john.reiss
Reedster  
Date:  5/17/07, 4:24am
>Two things surprise me about this list: 1.) That Tim Hudson is
>still a sell-high and 2.) That Dan Johnson isn't on the list.
>Other than that, very nice and I look forward to more.

Call it idiot pride re: Tim Hudson. Were he my #1 starter, I would still be chomping on my nails, expecting the big downfall.

Good point re: Dan Johnson, but believe it or not, he doesn't crack the top 60 in PlayerTrack (yet). He is definitely a guy that I like -- Gregg and I were tooting his horn during his horrific slump through the first half last year. Great OPS. Somebody to definitely look at.

Now, Jack Cust. I told someone yesterday morning that if he hit another HR in the "next three days," I'm sold. He hit one yesterday, right after. I think I'm grabbing him in my money league RIGHT now to replace the injured Reed Johnson on my farm.

Reply to Msg #293
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8376 reads

Message #294 of 405  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
Guest52217 (IP: 65.25.97.53)  
Date:  5/17/07, 5:31pm
If you have OPS percentage in your money league, then Cust is your man. The homer he hit last night was on a 2-0 pitch that had to be a fastball, and that is the only pitch he can hit for a homer. He does have an amazing eye though, so he does walk a lot (so of course he would play for Beane). As for picking him up though, I don't know. He can't really play defense and you have a play Piazza somewhere, so I don't know how long he will last on the roster once Piazza comes back.

Reply to Msg #294
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8375 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter