BaseballGeeks
User: Guest16202
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Who Will Win The A.L. West? " Thread

Message #2158 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Who Will Win The A.L. West?
Date:  2/19/06, 10:50am (Last Edited: 2/19/06, 10:55am)
This was a hot topic in Podcast #7. The A.L. West will be just as competitive as the N.L. East was in '05 and don't be surprised if five games separate the top three teams at the end of the season. I'll expect an all-out battle between the A's and Rangers down the stretch. But, in the end, I think Oakland will most likely take the A.L. West. They have the best starting rotation in the game and they added a few big bats to complement Eric Chavez with Frank Thomas and Milton Bradley. The Rangers have, arguably, the best lineup in the American League (yes, I'm including the Yankees) and added some quality pitching in Padilla and Millwood. But, their pitching isn't as stacked as Oakland's and that is what usually wins it in September and October. The Angels have been in court battles over a silly name change and haven't brought in a powerful bat to back up Vlad Guerrero. Signing Jeff Weaver--a mediocre pitcher at best-- doesn't make up for the loss of Jerrod Washburn at all. Seattle could improve if Richie Sexson has a comeback year and Jeremy Reed starts living up to his potential. But, overall, I see a nail-biter at the end of the season with Oakland and Texas.

Reply to Msg #2158
Back to Topics

7456 reads

1550 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The DawgHouse

Message #2162 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
MonkMojo  
Subject:  Re: Who Will Win The A.L. West?
Date:  2/19/06, 2:20pm
graphic
Excellent Jaydawg.

Even with my Mariners in last.

They need too many things to go right:

The first glimpses of Johjima, the new catcher from Japan, are encouraging. He is not the quiet type like Ichiro. He could add some spark with not only his bat, but his attitude as well. I see this having a motivating influence on Ichiro as well.

Contract year for Joel Pineiro, and he appears to be tuned in to our new pitching coach Chaves. Chaves is up from our minor league system and is very familiar with all our pitchers.

Washburn now a couple years out from surgery, tossing in Safeco is promising.

King Felix: I think is overrated by most in fantasy circles, he is going to have his struggles in his first full year. But he’ll be respectable.

This will be Grover’s second year managing the club. I like that.

Beltre shows up to camp 15 pounds lighter, eager to rebound, we’ll see.

I like the idea of our corner guys having a year together under their belt. Sexson / Beltre

No power up the middle from our young guys, Betencourt, Reed, Lopez last year. This will be better this year, but won’t turn any heads.

Mike Morse, Everet, Lawton I think makes for a better bench this year.

Our pen could surprise with the return of Rafael Soriano, JJ Putz and a healthy Eddie Guardado.

This is a lot to hope for, even for a homer like me.

Reply to Msg #2162
Back to Topics

8406 reads

Message #2164 of 6634  *NEW*
familyman  
Date:  2/19/06, 3:50pm
Hey Jaydawg,

I may be wishful thinking on the Angels, but I trust that they will do more of what it takes to win this year. They are deeper, I believe than people realize, with a lot of overripe talent that will get a chance to show something.

All of the teams are improved in this division. It seems that, even without a salary cap, parity is happening, in most divisions.

Reply to Msg #2164
Back to Topics

8403 reads

Message #2170 of 6634  *NEW*
Guest6978 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  2/19/06, 7:04pm
That's a great analysis, Jaydawg! I think the AL West is going to be a fun division this year to watch!

Reply to Msg #2170
Back to Topics

8399 reads

Message #2172 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  familyman
drrubb  
Date:  2/20/06, 8:21am
There may be some parity in some of the divisions, but I'm not buying the parity thing. There is still a MONSTER difference between the Yankees & teams like the Royals even though they are not in the same division. There won't be parity in the AL East because the Yanks have all the power & money & will win that division pretty easily unfortunately.

Reply to Msg #2172
Back to Topics

8396 reads

Message #2870 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
Jaydawg  
Date:  4/1/06, 3:10pm
1. A's
2. Rangers
3. Angels
4. Mariners

This will likely be the most competitive division in the majors. Don't be shocked if every team ends up well above .500.

Reply to Msg #2870
Back to Topics

8397 reads

Message #4191 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Date:  10/22/06, 2:44pm
This division turned out to be a little weaker than I thought, but I was right on the money about the A's. I think Gregg the FamilyMan had his Angel "homer" cap on for this one. Who would've thought that Jeff Weaver would be starting Game 2 of the World Series for the Cards?

Reply to Msg #4191
Back to Topics

8397 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter