BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40581
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Japan wins the World Baseball Classic " Thread

Message #2663 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Reedster  
Subject:  Japan wins the World Baseball Classic
Date:  3/20/06, 11:16pm
I think that the WBC was a very good success. I hope that it will continue, and I hope that the U.S. will take it a bit more seriously this time.

Reply to Msg #2663
Back to Topics

5689 reads

1369 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #2664 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
squanto  
Subject:  Re: Japan wins the World Baseball Classic
Date:  3/21/06, 6:30am
graphic
I totally agree. What a great game last night between Cuba and Japan! Oh, did I hear correctly that the US team only practiced together for three days before the tournament began?

Reply to Msg #2664
Back to Topics

6474 reads

Message #2665 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  squanto
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  3/21/06, 7:49am
graphic
I would like to apologize to the Cuban team for talking trash and being overly confident going into the championship game. I am partially to blame for this outcome.

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply to Msg #2665
Back to Topics

6472 reads

Message #2671 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Reedster
attacksquad  
Date:  3/21/06, 11:44am
Here's my three cents on this. What a great game last night! I did not think Japan would win, much less swing the bat as well as they did. Also, does this yield Japan as the next WBC host? Does Cuba deserve to host now? Will the format change? If this is to be modeled after the World Cup, then regions should change in the next WBC and U.S. players and owners would hopefully be more patriotic and represent when asked. I am willing to bet that on some of the other squads, players were fighting for a chance to be on their country's team and would not have said no if asked. Screw the owners who hate this tournament. Baseball needed this to promote the game in a positive way. There are sports writers and analysts who say that the US did not field their best team. Neiher did some other countires, like the Domicans for example. No Pedro, no Manny. Nuff said. And shouldn't the WBC be played during the summer, like maybe the all star break? How boring is the All Star game guys? The festivities are cool, especially the HR derby. How about that? The players would all be in baseball shape. It goes with the "boys of summer" theme. Why not offer a bonus as an owner to players who make the WBC teams of their respected countries? This tournanment is something the NFL and basektball don't have. This could help baseball catch up to those two sports in the long run. Point being, so much more can be done with the WBC, but what a success it was. For those of you who watched last night, take sec and realize you were watching history in the making. What we, the U.S. should get out of this tourney is: 1)You better believe our Asian friends will only get better as their leagues and players develop 2)The Latin countries will always be good and favored to win 3> Canada and Mexico can and will challenge us in the future. Gotta love it!

Reply to Msg #2671
Back to Topics

4314 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

attacksquad's Blog

Message #2673 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  attacksquad
Reedster  
Date:  3/21/06, 11:56am
>Here's my three cents on this. What a great game last night! I
>did not think Japan would win, much less swing the bat as well
>as they did.

Agreed. This, in my opinion, rises to the level of Ichiro and Matsui success in the U.S. There is no longer any gap.

>tournament. Baseball needed this to promote the game in a
>positive way. There are sports writers and analysts who say
>that the US did not field their best team. Neiher did some
>other countires, like the Domicans for example. No Pedro, no
>Manny. Nuff said. And shouldn't the WBC be played during the

You forgot Vlad. Could you imagine that team with these guys? No contest.

Wouldn't it make absolute sense for all of the countries' leagues to end at the same time as the U.S. (i.e., October). Then, all of the Championship teams from each country play in the true World Series - the World Baseball Classic.

The final winner gets the true "World Champ" nod.

The players will be well seasoned (no gap in the season), and we do not get any conflict with Spring Training and potential injuries so close to the regular season starting.

Rather than have "all star" teams, we have the teams that won each of their respective leagues -- a true championship.

Why wasn't this the original plan?

Guess this wouldn't work, though, come to think of it. Dominican players would want to play for their countries... well, now I know why it didn't work this way.

Reply to Msg #2673
Back to Topics

6467 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter