BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39382
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "On HBO's 'Costas Now', to air on Tues. 5/2, Bob Costas asks Willie Mays if he might have tried steroids if they were available during his playing days. Says Mays, 'I probably would've been right there.' " Thread

Message #3338 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  On HBO's 'Costas Now', to air on Tues. 5/2, Bob Costas asks Willie Mays if he might have tried steroids if they were available during his playing days. Says Mays, 'I probably would've been right there.'
Date:  5/01/06, 9:49pm
This is interesting to hear, considering the fact that Mays is Barry Bonds' Godfather. Recently, Mike Schmidt said something similar when asked about this particular issue. If you think about it, the top elite players are always looking for the edge in order to stand head above shoulders over the others. Even the great Babe Ruth would've probably been no different. Bud Selig, the owners, and other front office deserve equal blame--if not more-- for turning a blind eye to the steroid epidemic and allowing it to get out of control in the late '90's. All that mattered to those folks were the increasing amount of dollars in their pockets.

Reply to Msg #3338
Back to Topics

7602 reads

852 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #3339 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
Guest14547 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Subject:  Re: On HBO's 'Costas Now', to air on Tues. 5/2, Bob Costas asks Willie Mays if he might have tried steroids if they were available during his playing days. Says Mays, 'I probably would've been right there.'
Date:  5/2/06, 7:45am
Yes, I doubt too many of the old timers would not have tried the steriods if everybody else was using them. How else could they compete? Jaydawg is 100% right, it's Baseball's responsibilty to prevent stuff like that from happening.

In Baseball's defense, it's not isolated, the use of performing enhancing drugs occurs in every sport, even golf. A few years ago some of the golfers were using beta-blockers to control their nerves during big events like the Masters and US Open. Are steriods used in golf? A tell-tale sign of steroid use is a moon-pie face. Anybody know of a golfer who hits the ball a mile who has the biggest moon-pie face you'll ever see?

Reply to Msg #3339
Back to Topics

8447 reads

Message #3342 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest14547 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
TheBlueJayWay  
Subject:  Re: On HBO's 'Costas Now', to air on Tues. 5/2, Bob Costas asks Willie Mays if he might have tried steroids if they were available during his playing days. Says Mays, 'I probably would've been right there.'
Date:  5/2/06, 9:32am
graphic
Willie Mays on Steroids wouldve been insane, he wouldve hit like 800 home runs easy...

Reply to Msg #3342
Back to Topics

8444 reads

Message #3343 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
saundrabeach  
Date:  5/2/06, 9:46am
I say...Bravo to Mays for his quick honesty! As brilliant as his play was, I can only imagine how bigger he could have been.

Or maybe the drugs or steroids might have killed him, ala that football player that died of cancer related to steroids would tell ya if he could...Lyle Assedo?

Saundrala

Reply to Msg #3343
Back to Topics

6860 reads

Message #3347 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  saundrabeach
attacksquad  
Date:  5/2/06, 4:32pm
I agree with the previous post. Willie Mays, with steroids of his era or what they would have been, would have easliy died. The science of today's performance enhancing drugs is amazing to say the least and those who issue it know their stuff. Back then all the obvious steroid stereotypes would have shown Mays become the Hulk.

Reply to Msg #3347
Back to Topics

8435 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

attacksquad's Blog

Message #3356 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Date:  5/2/06, 9:51pm
I just watched the interview and I must say that Mays was very straightforward and honest. He said he has never asked Bonds whether or not he used steroids, but has told him on numerous occasions to tone down the arrogant attitude with the fans and to have fun out there. Barry should've taken his Godfather's advice seriously.

Reply to Msg #3356
Back to Topics

8432 reads

Message #3357 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Guest14547 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
drrubb  
Date:  5/3/06, 6:06am
Would that be John Daly?

Reply to Msg #3357
Back to Topics

8429 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter