BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39508
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "The Cannons Don't Thunder: Examining 15 Years of Failure by the Pittsburgh Pirates " Thread

Message #4748 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Anonymous  
Subject:  The Cannons Don't Thunder: Examining 15 Years of Failure by the Pittsburgh Pirates
Date:  7/02/07, 09:12am
How can a team finish below .500 for over a decade? Here I examine the reasons behind the failures of the Pittsurgh Pirates since the Barry Bonds led teams won three straight division titles.

Reply to Msg #4748
Back to Topics

7172 reads

1549 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #4750 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Anonymous
vegasman2000  
Subject:  Re: The Cannons Don't Thunder: Examining 15 Years of Failure by the Pittsburgh Pirates
Date:  7/2/07, 10:47am
Given the blackout of coverage of the walkout, I was curious as to whether it happened and how it went?? Though I doubt it was successful, I can't find out!! Let us know.

Pat DiCaprio

Reply to Msg #4750
Back to Topics

11183 reads

Message #4755 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  vegasman2000
GreenAndLoDucaMustGo  
Subject:  Re: The Cannons Don't Thunder: Examining 15 Years of Failure by the Pittsburgh Pirates
Date:  7/3/07, 7:17am
Despite a much-publicized effort to display fan discontent during the Pittsburgh Pirates’ 15th consecutive losing season, only a few thousand fans at most left their seats in protest following the third inning of Saturday night’s game against Washington.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-pirates-fa
nprotest&prov=ap&type=lgns

Reply to Msg #4755
Back to Topics

11177 reads

Message #4758 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  GreenAndLoDucaMustGo
Rob Reed  
Date:  7/3/07, 4:41pm
graphic
>Despite a much-publicized effort to display fan discontent
>during the Pittsburgh Pirates� 15th consecutive losing season,
>only a few thousand fans at most left their seats in protest
>following the third inning of Saturday night�s game against
>Washington.

Thanks for that link... I was wondering what happened there.

Reply to Msg #4758
Back to Topics

11175 reads

Message #4761 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Anonymous
drrubb  
Date:  7/4/07, 12:41am
Not that the D-Rays have ever enjoyed success, but they have finished below 500 every year since their existence. This year makes a decade.

Having said this, I believe(or atleast I hope) the D-Rays will one day be a contender. When I say contend, I mean for atleast 3rd place in the AL East. They'll never win that division because of the Yankees & Red Sox. Too much money to go up against.

Reply to Msg #4761
Back to Topics

11175 reads

Message #4777 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  GreenAndLoDucaMustGo
vegasman2000  
Date:  7/10/07, 11:56am
It sounds like an ill-conceived protest. How many people will pay money for parking and tickets and then just go?? The Pirates already had their money so why would they care!!!

Reply to Msg #4777
Back to Topics

11173 reads

Message #4778 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  vegasman2000
brian.joura  
Date:  7/11/07, 7:13am
graphic
Well, that depends if you take a short term or long term view of things. It doesn't make any sense in the short run, but if everyone in the stadium left to voice their disapproval with how the Pirates ownership run things, well that would definitely make an impression. And I'd rather blow $50 bucks in one shot then continue to blow $50 each and every time I go to a Pirates game to watch them put a crappy product on the field. Shouldn't they have put a team over .500 by now? 1992 was a long, long time ago.

Reply to Msg #4778
Back to Topics

11170 reads

Message #4783 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  brian.joura
Rob Reed  
Date:  7/11/07, 3:38pm
graphic
>Well, that depends if you take a short term or long term view
>of things. It doesn't make any sense in the short run, but if
>everyone in the stadium left to voice their disapproval with
>how the Pirates ownership run things, well that would
>definitely make an impression. And I'd rather blow $50 bucks
>in one shot then continue to blow $50 each and every time I go
>to a Pirates game to watch them put a crappy product on the
>field. Shouldn't they have put a team over .500 by now? 1992
>was a long, long time ago.

For me, you convince people to NOT go to the game at ALL. Imagine a grassroots effort to get NOBODY in the stands on a given day.

Do you think something would happen then?

Going to the game, paying the money, and THEN walking out doesn't hurt the owner at all.

Reply to Msg #4783
Back to Topics

11168 reads

Message #4786 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Rob Reed
brian.joura  
Date:  7/11/07, 8:41pm
graphic
That would definitely look impressive.

But the owners would still have all of the money from season ticket holders and luxury suites. I'm not sure what the walk-up total for Pirates games is, but I can't imagine it would hurt the billionaire owners very much.

Plus, I think the idea is to build some camraderie among the fans. My guess is that it's not very empowering to sit at home with your already paid for tickets going to waste. But if you go to the game, talk to other fans about your frustration with the team, find there are plenty of people like you - well, that's a different story.

Reply to Msg #4786
Back to Topics

11166 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter