BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40671
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "An Interesting Fantasy Keeper Question " Thread

Message #4833 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
vegasman2000  
Subject:  An Interesting Fantasy Keeper Question
Date:  8/09/07, 08:30am
Lenny Melnick, the "Godfather of Fantasy Baseball" posed the question of whether you would prefer a $1 keeper with 30 steals or 30 homers, assuming batting average to be equal. Here is a shot at an answer.

Reply to Msg #4833
Back to Topics

4731 reads

1043 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #4834 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  vegasman2000
Rob Reed  
Subject:  Re: An Interesting Fantasy Keeper Question
Date:  8/9/07, 8:44am
graphic
This is a great article, and it is hard to argue against. But, I will... sort of (in money auction leagues). I prefer the $1 homerun hitter. Patrick, in the article, says that it is hard to pay for steals... and this is exactly the reason why I want the $1 HR guy.

Face it. Chicks (and fantasy players) love the long ball. BIG money is spent on the homerun hitters which is why you find these 15-20+ SB guys available near the end of drafts (e.g., I got Lugo for $3... look, nobody expected him to hit sub-Mendoza, and I still think he will hit .230 or so when all is said and done; I got Ryan Theriot in our free, end of the draft farm team serpentine).

So, if you can save money to get power, you can allocate that extra money to pay big on one of the big steal guys... Reyes, Rollins, Crawford, etc.

At the most basic level, presumably a guy with power is going to help you in HR and RBI versus the SB guy, well, primarily giving you SBs. Two categories vs. one, primarily, is the more valuable. Of course, one could argue that SB guys score more runs...

And, my money league, though, includes OBP as a cat (instead of R scored), so as to add to the confusion.

In the end, based on my observations, a lot of money is put out in the first ten or so auction rounds on power. If you can get this cheap, this is essential. It is not hard to load up on 10-20 SB cheap guys near the end of the draft, notwithstanding SB scarcity (vs HRs). And, to win a league, you don't have to win the SB category... somewhere in the middle is fine, I think.

Reply to Msg #4834
Back to Topics

5408 reads

Message #4835 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Rob Reed
vegasman2000  
Date:  8/9/07, 10:57am
Perhaps you can discuss it on your next podcast, whenever that is....

Reply to Msg #4835
Back to Topics

5407 reads

Message #4836 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  vegasman2000
john.reiss  
Date:  8/9/07, 3:19pm
I heard a rumor about this "podcast" thing, but haven't seen one in awhile....

Reply to Msg #4836
Back to Topics

5405 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter