BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40115
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Maybe more proof that there is a secret agreement between clubs against Bonds? On-base-percentage lover Billy Beane chooses Frank Thomas over Bay-beloved Bay-bo " Thread

Message #5084 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Rob Reed  
Subject:  Maybe more proof that there is a secret agreement between clubs against Bonds? On-base-percentage lover Billy Beane chooses Frank Thomas over Bay-beloved Bay-bo
Date:  4/24/08, 1:18pm
graphic
Okay. Maybe money was the issue.

But, I'm curious as to whether the A's inquired with Bonds at all in the offseason or since the season started?

If they were so quick to pull the trigger and snag Thomas after he was released, it seems pretty clear that they were in the market for a power hitting, on base percentage getting DH.

This would have been the greatest fit for Bonds, in my opinion, so long as he was reasonable on his price.

Reply to Msg #5084
Back to Topics

4082 reads

1355 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #5085 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Rob Reed
john.reiss  
Subject:  Re: Maybe more proof that there is a secret agreement between clubs against Bonds? On-base-percentage lover Billy Beane chooses Frank Thomas over Bay-beloved Bay-bo
Date:  4/24/08, 2:06pm
First off, I am so happy that Frank is back in Oakland. For Beane to sign Thomas over Bonds makes a lot of sense. Frank is probably cheaper, a known quantity, and despite their current record, the A's are obviously in a rebuilding year. Why throw money at someone that may destroy your clubhouse when a clubhouse leader is available?
It did surprise me that the A's did not sign Bonds over the off season until they began rebuilding. My only hope is that Thomas stays with the A's through next season, to teach the young players a few things before retiring.

Reply to Msg #5085
Back to Topics

5161 reads

Message #5093 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Rob Reed
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Maybe more proof that there is a secret agreement between clubs against Bonds? On-base-percentage lover Billy Beane chooses Frank Thomas over Bay-beloved Bay-bo
Date:  4/26/08, 9:31am
I'm really suprised the Rays didn't get Bonds. There was some serious talk that Tampa Bay was talking with Bonds. I'm not sure if this would have been a good move or not. It probably would have helped ticket sales in Tampa tremendously, but he such a distraction & I believe it actually could have affected team chemistry with Tampa. Don't laugh! This will be the best Tampa Bay Rays team since they have existed. They have some good young talent. They improved their pitching & they can score runs. I project atleast a 4th place finish in the AL East with atleast 80 wins. They are 12-11 right now. YAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Reply to Msg #5093
Back to Topics

5158 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter