BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40250
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "The Braves' Schuerholz and Cox: the best GM-manager tandem in history? " Thread

Message #819 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Anonymous  
Subject:  The Braves' Schuerholz and Cox: the best GM-manager tandem in history?
Date:  3/16/05, 3:34pm

Reply to Msg #819
Back to Topics

4516 reads

1850 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

Message #826 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Anonymous
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: The Braves' Schuerholz and Cox: the best GM-manager tandem in history?
Date:  3/16/05, 9:29pm
To win the division 13 straight years with a continuously decreasing budget, I would say they could atleast make a strong argument.

Reply to Msg #826
Back to Topics

5083 reads

Message #834 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
Desert_Chill  
Subject:  Re: The Braves' Schuerholz and Cox: the best GM-manager tandem in history?
Date:  3/17/05, 8:33am
And I'm thinking they'll make it 14 straight this year. No baseball team has ever run off a string of division-winning seasons like this.

On the other hand, they probably wouldn't have won in 1994 (Expos had the best record in baseball before the strike), and in all that time they've only won one World Series. Cox is great about getting the most of his players during the season (and having a stellar pitching coach in Leo Mazzone doesn't hurt either), but when the postseason rolls around, he invariably gets outmanaged.

Since 1992, the Blue Jays have won the World Series twice, the Florida Marlins twice, and the Yankees three times. The Braves have won it just once in those 13 years. Schuerholz and Cox have put together an unsurpassed string of seasons, but the only thing that really totally matters is who is holding up that World Series trophy come October.

Ask the fans of Atlanta. Two years ago during the Cubs/Braves playoff series, there were as many Cubs fans at Turner Field as their were Braves fans.

Reply to Msg #834
Back to Topics

5077 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

Desert_Chill's Blog

Message #843 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Desert_Chill
Reedster  
Date:  3/17/05, 8:50pm
I don't know much about the history of GM-manager combos, but in my lifetime, there has been no tandem better (in my opinion) than these two guys.

I do agree with you that they look pretty good for a repeat for the division title this year, as well. Tim Hudson was a really key pickup.

Reply to Msg #843
Back to Topics

1580 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter