BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39504
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Fantasy Baseball : Reading "Fantasy Blog '06" Thread

Message #144 of 405  *NEW*
To:  All
kschellenger  
Subject:  Fantasy Blog '06
Date:  3/18/06, 4:19pm
This is a 12 team, 5x5, roto league on yahoo. I will be updating as often as I can basically tracking my team and taking (read: begging for) your advice.

My team:
C: Rod Barajas
1B: Prince Fielder
2B: Tad Iguchi
3B: David Wright
SS: Jose Reyes
OF: Carl Crawford
OF: Carlos Lee
OF: Geoff Jenkins
UTIL: Alex Rios

***Bench***
Brady Clark

***Starting Pitchers***
Ben Sheets
Felix Hernandez
Bret Myers
A.J. Burnett
Noah Lowry
Livan Hernandez
Joe Blanton
Chris Young
Matt Clement

***Relief Pitchers***
Huston Street
Mike MacDougal

Post Draft thoughts:
My team looks solid in SB. Runs, AVG and RBIs should be able to hold their own in the upper middle. HRs could use improvement. A lot offensively depends upon Prince Fielder's ability to adapt to the major leagues. I don't have a lot to say about this right now, but I'm looking for opinions on where to improve.

I took a lot of chances on my pitchers because starting pitching was being overdrafted. There were 4 in the 1st round and 5 in the second. I drafted a lot of pitching late hoping to pick up a couple guys who have break out years. That being said, I think I'm solid in wins and Ks. Saves are a big weakness but that's something I can always pick up during the season or trade if necessary. ERA and WHIP will be an adventure. Depending on how some of these guys do I may have a very high ERA/WHIP.

Reply to Msg #144
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

13453 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

kschellenger's Blog

Message #145 of 405  *NEW*
To:  kschellenger
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Fantasy Blog '06
Date:  3/18/06, 5:28pm
Good job! I agree! I don't see how anybody can hang with you in the SB department. Reyes & Crawford(AWESOME!) You also must be a Brewers fan. I think your team looks pretty solid. Unfortunately, my team won't look that solid in our 20 team 5x5 roto league after I am done drafting tomorrow night.

Reply to Msg #145
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15793 reads

Message #146 of 405  *NEW*
MonkMojo  
Date:  3/18/06, 5:42pm
graphic
I’m not familiar with what a 12 mix should look like, it would be cool to see what team you consider to be the best or if that’s you, what team you would consider to be second best.

But yeah, you look solid!

Reply to Msg #146
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15789 reads

Message #147 of 405  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
kschellenger  
Date:  3/18/06, 6:45pm
Thanks for the feedback!! Yes, I am a Brewers fan although I don't necessarily have all those winners on my team because I'm a homer. I took Jenkins in the 20th round (of 21) and Clark in the 21st. At that position they were too good to pass on.

Reply to Msg #147
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10561 reads

Message #148 of 405  *NEW*
Reedster  
Date:  3/18/06, 6:46pm
This is a great team. I think you are going to hurt in AVG, though, so I would try and deal one of your pitchers for one high average guy.

Once that is done, I don't think there is any stopping you in a 12 team league.

Reply to Msg #148
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15777 reads

Message #149 of 405  *NEW*
To:  MonkMojo
kschellenger  
Date:  3/18/06, 6:54pm
One of the better teams looks like this:
C: Jorge Posada
1B: Mark Teixeira
2B: Chone Figgins
3B: Shea Hillenbrand
SS: Julio Lugo
OF: Andruw Jones
OF: Adam Dunn
OF: Milton Bradley
UTIL: Torii Hunter

***Bench***
Nick Johnson
Jose Guillen
Rob Mackowiak
Angel Berroa

Starting Pitchers
Bartolo Colon
Andy Pettitte
Doug Davis
Jon Garland
Brad Radke

Relief Pitchers
Chad Cordero
Danny Baez
Justin Speier

He's got solid offense and decent starting pitching. Nothing special there and doubtful any positive surprises with that crew. Relief pitching is nothing unless Gagne gets hurt again.

Reply to Msg #149
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15775 reads

Message #150 of 405  *NEW*
To:  All
kschellenger  
Date:  3/18/06, 7:02pm
Hours after completing my draft I'm working on trades. Rule number one of fantasy baseball is always look for ways to improve your team. My thoughts are saves are overvalued by many fantasy players and therefore they are willing to give more than a closer is worth in trade. That being said, Huston Street has high value right now and I'm trying to push him (along with some of my older pitchers) for younger starting pitching. I'm close to a deal sending Huston Street and Livan Hernandez for Matt Cain, Zack Duke and Mike Gonzalez. He wants another player and wants it to be Joe Blanton. But anyone Billy Beane is buying, I'm buying too. So I'm not too excited about parting with him just yet...even for Cain and Duke. I'm trying to push Huston Street and A.J. Burnett.

More updates to folow!

Reply to Msg #150
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15773 reads

kschellenger's Blog

Message #161 of 405  *NEW*
kschellenger  
Date:  3/21/06, 6:24am (Last Edited: 3/21/06, 6:31am)
My attempts to make a trade to pick up a couple young pitchers for Street has fallen by the wayside. I'm seeking a couple trades to add average. I'm looking to add it at second base or to replace Jenkins in the outfield. I don't see any reason to replace any of the other guys. First base and catcher would cost me too much to make it actually worth it. I know I'm taking gambles here but without any of the big power guys I need Barajas (and his 20 HRs) and Fielder who ought to hit 25 or 30.

Additionally, it's getting close to panic time (already) because MacDougal went down for a month and I wasn't able to add Burgos, this sort of makes me want to quit my job so I can focus solely on fantasy baseball, . Burgos may very well take the closer role away from MacDougal so this leaves me, at least for a month with one closer. I'm scouring the free agent list and there's not much there...Hermanson, Linebrink, Duchserer, Farnsworth, Howry, Rincon, Polite, Batista, Sosa, Saenz, Looper, Wheeler, Betancourt...etc.

Trades I'm working on:
Street, Hernandez and Clement for Luis Castillo, Trevor Hoffman and Chris Ray. (This trade is looking promising and helpful for me)
Street and Burnett for Grady Sizemore and Jose Valverde. (This trade is not looking the best for me anymore. We've been working out that second pitcher I'm giving up. He wants Felix Hernandez but that's of course not happening. But I'd love to add Sizemore because it should help my AVG and he'd be great trade bait later)

That's all for now. Just under 2 weeks to solve these problems before the season!

Reply to Msg #161
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15769 reads

kschellenger's Blog

Message #188 of 405  *NEW*
kschellenger  
Subject:  Trade possibiliy
Date:  3/23/06, 3:27pm
I'm being offered Reitsma, Cain and Duke for Huston Street and Bret Myers.

This isn't a trade I can accept right now because MacDougal, my other closer is on the DL and that would leave me closerless, considering Reitsma is sketchy and may not be the closer in ATL for long. Therefore I came back with this trade:
I get: Mike Gonzalez, Reitsma, Cain and Duke
He gets: Street, MacDougal, Myers, Clement

This works out ok for me. I'm not sure if he'll take it but it solves my closer situation. Gonzalez should get 30 saves and Reitsma will at least get a few before he blows it and saves are easily picked up on the waiver wire. I expect Cain and Duke to do well. They should pick up some quality starts and help my ERA/WHIP and contribute some Ks. Doubtful either will win 12+ games but I have enough starters to pick up some good wins.

Reply to Msg #188
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

14520 reads

kschellenger's Blog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter