BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40625
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Headlines : Reading "Bruce Sutter is Elected to Cooperstown " Thread

Message #1658 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  All
Jaydawg  
Subject:  Bruce Sutter is Elected to Cooperstown
Date:  1/10/06, 8:26pm
Bruce Sutter finally made it in after thirteen years of eligibility. As the first pitcher to perfect the split-finger fastball, it's well deserved. Though, surpisingly, Sutter was the only guy to make it in this year. Andre Dawson and Goose Gossage, who deserve the honor, were shut out once again. Also, first year nominees, such as Orel Hershiser and Will Clark, received very little consideration. In my opinion, those two are much more worthy to be in Cooperstown than Gary Carter and Robin Yount, who both made it in as soon as they became eligible.

The 2007 ballot for the Hall of Fame looks a lot more promising. For starters, Cal Ripken Jr., Tony Gwynn, and Mark McGwire will be nominated for the first time. Understandably, there will be a big question mark with McGwire, but I haven't seen any other players who are more deserving of a Hall of Fame honor than Ripken and Gwynn. If those two aren't voted in unanimously, then there's obviously something wrong with the ballot system.

Reply to Msg #1658
Back to Topics

5462 reads

1649 clickthrough(s)

You cannot start a topic in the Headlines or Classifieds area... if you want to post a new message, try one of our other message areas!

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

Diary of A Baseball Geek

Message #1661 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  Jaydawg
saundrabeach  
Subject:  Re: Bruce Sutter is Elected to Cooperstown
Date:  1/10/06, 10:01pm
Call me a great "fan", but I still vote for Pete Rose...

I met him at my Audi dealership in Beverly Hills and he was just a simply great human to talk to. I told him as I state here..."He was robbed" No doubt he belongs there with the recognised greats. He was great! So he was human and he "got caught"...

What a shame...No doubt he will be honored posthumously (after he dies). Ala Jim Thorpe.

Comeon people..."Get a Grip"

Saundra Reed

Reply to Msg #1661
Back to Topics

6217 reads

Message #1666 of 6634  *NEW*
To:  saundrabeach
drrubb  
Date:  1/11/06, 5:54am
I agree with you Saundra. Look at his numbers. Look what he did on the field. I think he has done his time & has paid his dues in sorrow. He should be in the Hall one day.

Reply to Msg #1666
Back to Topics

3065 reads

Message #1667 of 6634  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  1/11/06, 6:04am
Dawson definately deserves in my opinion to be in the Hall of Fame. His career numbers were very solid. He played hurt a lot. He took salary cuts just to benefit the rest of the guys on his team. He was a class act & a hell of a player. I don't know his exact numbers, career wise, but I would venture to say that he has to be one of the top 100 or 200 hitters of all time. Someone else who I have a very bad feeling that is going to get SCREWED by the Hall of Fame is Fred McGriff when his time comes around. To me, he should be in as well when his time comes around. Much like Dawson, he was a great player & a great hitter, & was a class act. I believe he did it cleanly too. 493 career home runs is pretty damn good! I know there are guys in the Hall who have been voted in for their hitting with far less.

Reply to Msg #1667
Back to Topics

6210 reads

Message #1670 of 6634  *NEW*
Reedster  
Date:  1/11/06, 11:53am (Last Edited: 1/11/06, 11:54am)
I am glad Sutter was elected. This being said, during the same period of time that Sutter was pitching, I remember always being in much more awe of Gossage.

Gossage was a friggin, intimidating monster. It is wrong that he wasn't elected to join Sutter. It would have been perfect. Closers get so much respect (and money) in today's game (in real life and fantasy)... it would have been a fitting example of this.

Reply to Msg #1670
Back to Topics

6210 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter